Permission Granted

He's having lunch somewhere in an off-the-street restaurant which looks somehow similar to the one Marion takes him to the last time he's in Kampala. The difference with this one is that it has only one floor. His table in particular is relatively larger but the colour and shape remain the same.

He drinks from the juice glass as he checks his phone. The psychic's latest message is an apology accompanied by a short explanation.

Marion: I never meant to hurt you.

It is one from the previous evening though Koke is seeing it just now. Later, she sends another text emphasising her sorry and telling the guy that she fears losing him. He's a special friend worth keeping. The junior accountant shakes his head slightly before pocketing the device and drinking the little remaining in the glass.

Staring blankly at the black monitor screen, a blue pen moves fixedly between two of his digits. Three knocks sound at his cubicle door and he responds as if he's expecting someone-a slow head turn.

"Hi." Greets the manager while she makes her way in, wearing her trademark eye-scrunching smile and a loose-fitting flowery dress.

" Greets the manager while she makes her way in, wearing her trademark eye-scrunching smile and a loose-fitting flowery dress

"How are you?" She settles into the visitors' seat with the ardent smile.

Koke sighs first. "I'm fine." He sighs again after mumbling the statement.

Mary frowns immediately, every happy indicator on her visage morphing into a concerned expression. "Really? You seem not to be."

The lad moves his hands to the back of his head against the backrest. "I'm not fine, Mary. I don't know." He shakes his head. "I think I need some fresh air." He gets to his feet so fast without warning and walks out, leaving the lady in a more confused state. Her mouth is open and a croak escapes her throat as she tries to follow his movement with the turn of her neck. Too late, unfortunately. The colleague is out of view within a sec.

His destination is the beach. The sky above is mostly grey with some white clouds far in the distance. The ocean waves rumble to the quiet shore with barely anyone in sight except him facing towards the unending horizon of the water body. His hands are folded below his chest whilst he stands in his white long-sleeve shirt tucked in a black pair of fitting suit trousers.

As he stares in the distance, someone joins him silently. He turns to look at the female figure who doesn't return the similar acknowledgement of his presence. The former secretary and similar beach company focuses ahead of them, not saying a word. Koke returns his attention to the ocean and the pair remains like that for quite some minutes. Mary checks her wristwatch prior to a gasp coming out of her. The accountant turns to check on the woman who turns swiftly and begins to hurry away, her arms folded below her chest.

"Mary." He calls her calmly. She stops and turns, their sights meeting. Her face harbours worry, sadness and disappointment. "I'm sorry." Koke says, his tone still at its lowest. "You need to know what's going on." He adds.