First Day

Sigrid's first vision was not a pleasant one. On her first night in the City of Asgard, she dreamed of a beautiful world of a luscious jungle, with colorful flowers, dense vegetation, tall trees, and exotic creatures. It reminded her of her mother's home, with nature all around her, the flowers and animals, only more robust and wild. It was completely mesmerizing, the exact image of paradise.

But something was wrong. The ground began to shake. Leaves and branches fell from the trees. The creatures ran away from Sigrid. She began to start running, but she didn't know why. She ran towards the loud crashes and screaming. Bright purple lights flashed in the sky up ahead. There were many dead bodies laying everywhere on her path. The sounds of war kept getting louder and louder. Flames of fire began to spread across the jungle, leaving behind only ashes. This beautiful world was being destroyed right before her eyes.

Sigrid woke up in a huff. She looked around her and slowly realized where she was. She tried to calm herself down, but her heart was still beating very fast. She laid back down to go back to sleep, but a small dark figure approached her in the darkness. She sat back up in a hurry, not letting her fear take over her enough to scream aloud. She watched the dark figure closely. She did not know how it got inside. She hadn't left the door or any windows open.

The figure made a strange but familiar noise. Baa.

Sigrid knew immediately. The figure was a goat.

It crept into the moonlight and she could finally see it. The goat was brown with white spots and extremely small. Sigrid knew goats really well as she and her mother used to raise them and keep them as pets. It was an added bonus that they kept the grass short and fresh.

Hello. You must be new. The goat spoke in a voice similar to a child's.

"Why, yes, I am now." Sigrid spoke kindly, "Now, how did you get inside my home?"

The goat approached closer to her bed, its hooves making clunky noises against the hardwood floor. That window next to the door is loose. I opened it easily.

It stopped and stared at her with those bazaar eyes. "Why did you break in through my window?"

I wanted to meet you. I hear you're very nice. The goat sat down on her shag rug.

"Oh, really?" Sigrid asked, getting up from her bed, "Where did you hear that from?"

The birds like to talk.

Sigrid studied this tiny goat intently. "You're a very strange goat. What is your name?"

The goat turned its gaze away from Sigrid. I was never given a name. The farmers here don't name their profits.

Sigrid's heart melted for this little goat. "Well, I could give you a name?"

The goat's ears perked up. Really? You would do that?

"Of course!" Sigrid couldn't help but smile.

You gotta give me a cool name!

"I will!" Sigrid searched her mind, "Are you a boy or a girl?"

Hey! I'm clearly a boy!

"Sorry, sorry. Just double-checking." Sigrid puzzled for a minute, "How about Roscoe?"

The goat stood up in excitement. Roscoe? That is a cool name!

"The name means 'deer wood.' Someone with this name shall honor and protect the forest, along with respecting the forest and all that inhabit it." Sig leaned in to look him in the eyes, "Do you think you can do that?"