[Chapter 8]

╔ • ╗

I walk out from the portal, and step in to the mess in front of me.

I mean, it's a mess, and I had to take a minute to take every possible thing in. There're tower speakers in each corner of the place, but right now they're acting as tables for the bottles and plastic cups and paper plates that are threatening to fall. 

Looking away from it isn't much of a relief either, because his walls are painted black, he's got a dying plant in the corner that practically shivering from the open window above it, letting in the cold air of the night, and dirty dishes piling on top of each other like Jenga on the sink.

"Hope you enjoyed your flight," he said from a hallway, the only part of the house that's light is on. He pecks Bea's head as he smiled at me. His hair is in their natural state: wild.

"You know you got a dead plant in the corner, right?" I responded instead, dismissing his joke.

He shrugs as he places Bea down. He saunters over me with his hands in his pockets. "Fella's not very cooperative. Listen, Tree Hugger, you take a nap or a shower?"

I groan. "My hair is neat and kept, okay? I showered, and my hair is dry enough. You ne-"

"I'm kiddin', love! C'mon," he complained. "No need to be upset. I'll just go ahead and grab you a hairbrush-"

I save myself the rest of the joke by punching him in the shoulder. "You have some unresolved issues with my hair and I don't know how to feel about it. I don't even know if I should ask what started it."

"It's always messy when it shouldn't be."

"I'm not gonna argue with you about this. So, what's the game plan?"

"Clubbin'. You up for it?" 

No any other idea could be more perfect. I needed the distraction, and the drinking, and the dancing. The 3 D's.

I think my grin said enough for him, because he laughs like he knew it was a good idea all along. "Alright, then. We'll be meetin' some mates of mine on the way. That fine with you?"

"Oh, you actually have friends?"

"Other than you, yes. Why does that always surprise you?"

"Cause you're a dick." Then it hit me. "Are your friends also anarchists?"

"Some more than others, yes." He pulled the vest of his leather jacket down snugly. "Don't worry, they won't attack you like I did."

I let out a fake sigh of relief. Or maybe it wasn't fake, I dunno.

"But they're better than your friends, that's for sure." He added.

"C'mon, Harry's not so bad..." Okayyy, so, I haven't seen him except for short waves and acknowledging nods in the hallways, but we haven't talked since that weird morning. It seemed like he was talking about me, that he was over Mary Jane, and it got too weird for me. It might have been what I wanted from him and Peter, but I mean it now solely as friends alone.

I mean, ever since he'd caught feelings for Mary Jane I was pretty much the person he would complain about Peter to, or to talk to late in the night about how tyrannical his father was being. So not only am I 2nd place to Peter, I also hold the title in Harry's.

I've been avoiding the both of them, spending most of the time in the library, swinging around as Spider-Woman during my free period, going out as Spider-Woman to help out when it's not a free period. I was occupied enough. I don't think they actually noticed I've been avoiding them.