2. Late-Night Talking

George stood in front of the door, breath held, hand raised. His fist lowered, this is a dumb idea, he's probably sleeping. But the light shining from under Dream's door said otherwise, so he took a deep breath and knocked.

...

"Where were you, when we called?" George asked.

Dream smiled. "Sometimes, at my desk. Only if we were playing Minecraft or you had your face cam on, otherwise, I was in my bed." George's gaze shifted. "I would put my earbuds in, leave my phone on my side table and lay down, eyes closed, listening to you talk about your day. It was soothing, I... I really enjoyed those calls. The feeling that you were right next to me, laughing in my ears."

Dream broke eye contact, looking away quickly. "Sorry, that sounds incredibly creepy now that I'm saying it."

"No! It doesn't! I- I get it."

After a moment, Dream looked back at the beautiful boy in his bedroom. Someone he never imagined he would have the opportunity to share a space with. His best friend he never got to fully understand through Discord calls and video games. "So what's the real reason you knocked on my door?"

Now it was George's turn to get flustered. "I don't know, I was just bored- couldn't sleep. Decided to take advantage of the fact I can finally bother you whenever I want in person."

Dream smiled at that, but he knew it wasn't the full truth. The truth doesn't involve avoiding eye contact and fidgeting with your shirt hem. "George. You know you can tell me anything, right? I'll never judge you. I care, I truly do." Dream took George's hand gently, intertwining their fingers. "Now, why did you come in my room at," a glance at the clock, "1:45 in the morning?"

George looked up, down at their locked hands and back before letting out a sigh of defeat. "I had a bad dream, a night terror. You know I get them sometimes." He blinked rapidly. "I just couldn't be alone and assumed you'd be up like the psycho you are."

Dream started reaching to bring his friend into a hug, but before he could get his arms above his waist, George had already burrowed himself in Dream's chest, squeezing him tightly. The taller man quickly responded, hugging George closely and resting his chin on his head. George making the first move for physical touch isn't a common sighting, but Dream wanted to make sure George knew it was always welcome when he needed it.

"I'm so happy I get to do this. It's not the same over call, I think I've longed for this longer than I could have ever known." George said in broken breaths.

Dream smiled sadly, remembering all the nights he'd woken up to the sound of George's ringtone, knowing his friend had had another terror, all alone in his flat with no one to reassure him, hold him, tell him it would be alright. Wishing more than anything he could teleport beside his broken down friend, tug him tightly to his chest and whisper sweet nothings in his ear. Keep George safe from his endless, ruthless mind. Listen as his breaths change from rapid, panic gasps to heavy sighs of sleep. Knowing he couldn't be there when the person he cared for the most needed him the most almost tore him apart. The ability to be here now when the situation took hold felt like a cool breeze had rustled through Dream's anxieties and left nothing but a swelling feeling of relief. But all he could say aloud was, "Me too George, me too."

The two men stayed in that position, wrapped up in each other until George broke the silence. "What would you have done if instead of calls, I was laying next to you?"

Dream was taken about by the bold question, liking this side of George he rarely sees. "Well, I would have my eyes open for sure, how could I miss an opportunity to look at your adorable face?" An embarrassed scoff from George gives Dream the confidence to go on. "I wouldn't have earbuds in so I would turn on my side," his eyes locked with George's. "Maybe I'd... reach out and brush your hair back," Dream's hand reaches out, waiting for any sign of George not wanting this. When there is none, Dream's hand lightly scratches through the side of George's hair, watching his eyelids flutter.