Chapter 27

27. Saturday Night

BPOV

I stepped back from Jacob and his buddies, knowing the transformation process was beginning. I hoped they would forgive me for interfering. Of course, this time around, they had no real reason to hate the Cullens, other than raw prejudice, because Edward hadn't broken my heart and left me to fall into a catatonic state. There were many upsides to being a werewolf, and I was hoping they would understand that.

"Guys, I still want to be your friend, regardless of what you decide about the Cullens. Please call me either way. I have a lot of information I believe you have a right to know. Tonight is not the best time to discuss it though. You're already in information overload, so I really want to hook up with you tomorrow, whether it is with the Cullens or without," I pleaded, staring intensely into each set of eyes, willing them to sense my sincerity.

They all nodded and smiled, relaxing slightly. Quil and Embry both looked to Jacob, already beginning to defer to him as their spokesman. I guess some instinctual part of them knew he was the Alpha. Jacob stood a bit taller, with the two of them flanking him, lending him their unwavering and unspoken support.

"The guys and I need to discuss this whole situation. I'll call you in the morning, Bella," he informed me calmly. He seemed to struggle with himself again, before softly adding, "Be safe, Bells. We don't want you to get hurt."

I nodded sadly, understanding his concern. "The Cullens won't hurt me, Jacob. In fact, they'll protect me with their own lives."

He nodded again, watching me head back to my truck. All three of them simply stared after me, unmoving, as I drove away, back to my house. Once I crossed the border of La Push, I whipped out my cell phone, calling Edward. I was feeling a bit panicky. Edward answered on the first ring.

"Bella?"

"Oh, Edward, I felt them. Their body temperature has already started rising. Can Alice still see them? Are they coming tomorrow? Are they going to cause trouble?"

"Calm down, love. Let me ask her." I heard him talking to Alice in the background. They were speaking too softly for me to overhear their conversation. The second the hum of voices went silent, I jumped right in, wanting answers.

"Edward? What is it? What did she see?"

"Bella, calm down. You don't need to get so worried. The future is full of static right now; there are occasional glimpses, but mostly just jumbled color. Our whole family is looking that way for tomorrow morning, so I'm guessing the boys do accept our offer for brunch."

"Is there any trouble? Any fighting? Is everything okay?"

He hesitated, and I felt my panic spike again. He sighed. "She can't see that. She only knows they're coming, but not the outcome. I suppose it will depend on whether or not they choose to listen and be influenced by us."

"Oh," I whispered. I would do anything to keep Edward safe and out of harm's way. I didn't know what else to say then.

"Look, I'm going to inform the rest of the family while we're at it, and then I'll join you in your bedroom, where we can talk privately."

"Thanks, Edward. I really need you right now."

"Goodnight, Bella. I'll see you in a few."

I hung up, feeling so much better. I had Edward and would soon be in his arms again. That thought alone was enough to improve my attitude and outlook.

I made it safely home, and told Charlie about spending the day with Jake and his friends, neglecting to mention that the Cullens were there too. I didn't really want him to slip up and mention anything to Billy before we had things resolved, especially since the two of them would be spending most of the day fishing together tomorrow. I certainly didn't want to get Jacob in trouble with his father or the tribe. That wouldn't help our case at all.