Chapter 1

ARTEMIS

Beneath the storm's wrathful gaze, auburn tendrils of hair entwined with the swirling currents as the pirate grappled against the relentless sea's inexorable pull. In the tumultuous embrace of the waves, his spirit flickered like a steadfast flame, casting defiance upon the turbulent waters that threatened to claim him. As the tumultuous sea raged on, the pirate slowly drifted into unconsciousness, his soul slipping away from his grasp.

Artemis had seen everything; How the sailor's energy left his body as he sank and the sea pulled him down to its darkest place, the water suffocating him. She swiftly grabbed him, pulling him close to her body, saving him as the seas cried out.

Artemis propelled herself through the maelstrom, her lithe form navigating the treacherous currents with an otherworldly grace. The mermaid knew she shouldn't have saved the pirate. Her mother had always said it was forbidden for a mermaid to interact with humans as there were hunters looking for creatures like her. But her mother's voice faded in her head as Artemis cradled the pirate in her arms and they washed up on the sandy shore.

Exhausted yet resolute, she laid him down, her tail flicking in the shallow water. As she attempted to draw a breath into his lifeless form, she pumped at his chest with her hands, the gritty touch of the sand against her delicate skin sent stinging waves of discomfort through her. Undeterred, she shifted her position, trying to find a balance between her desire to save the pirate and the pain that threatened to distract her. Artemis focused fully on him, her hands tracing a firm path along his chest, willing his lungs to take in the precious air.

Gritting her teeth, she fought through the discomfort, trying to not let the unknown pirate die. She noticed his auburn-coloured hair and the black skull with cross-boned inked into his arm. Artemis had heard stories of pirates, but she had never actually saved one.

Just as her strength began to leave, a tremor went through the pirate's body. A soft but unmistakable gasp escaped his lips. A surge of relief flooded through Artemis as she realised the pirate was breathing. She cradled the pirate in her arms, shielding him from the biting wind and the sea's relentless spray.

The mermaid winced as she felt the burning sensation of her skin. The sand left her skin feeling itchy and sore. She resisted the urge to tear off her own skin with her nails to make the itching stop, knowing it would only make it worse. Artemis fought against the temptation to leave the pirate behind. It felt wrong to leave.

Artemis drew a long breath and closed her eyes, she concentrated on her inner power, tapping on the ancient magic that flowed throughout her veins. A glistening glow enveloped her body, starting from her shimmering tail and gradually spreading upward. The scales along her tail began to merge, transforming into smooth, milky skin. The vibrant hues of her underwater home gave way to the warm tones of a human complexion. Her tail divided into two legs, granting her the ability to walk upon the land.

She tapped the pirate's face forcefully as he started to regain consciousness. He seemed confused, muttering words that didn't make sense, his brows pulled in a frown, not understanding what was happening. Artemis urged him to stand up. His legs wobbled as he stood against the wet sand, and Artemis allowed him to hook an arm around her waist

With each step, Artemis navigated the treacherous terrain, and her bare feet sunk into the soft sand. Every movement sent a jolt of pain through her as she was not used to walking on human feet, but she pushed it aside, focusing solely on their escape from the volatile shoreline. They managed to find shelter in a nearby cave.

From a small opening, Artemis could see the waves crashing against the shore as raindrops fell relentlessly against the cave entrance. Thunder boomed in the distance, lighting the dark skies with flashes of light.