Chapter 2

ARTEMIS

Under the clear blue of the sea, where light filtered in shimmery rays, Artemis gracefully swam through the depths. She was aware that Rhodes, the red-haired pirate captain, would require sustenance after his demanding journey. Quickly and skilfully, she collected vibrant seashells and gathered a palmful of delectable sea grapes, a favourite treat among merfolk.

On her journey back to the coast, Artemis carried her harvest in a seaweed basket. She was carried by the tide, its calming currents guiding her to the land. As she swam, the ocean seemed to whisper its secrets, revealing tales of ancient treasures and hidden realms that stirred her curiosity.

Hearing the ocean talk to her, made Artemis happy. Since she was a kid, the only way she could sleep to the ocean talking to her.

Artemis noticed the faint texture change in the water as she moved nearer to the coast. The waves intensified and crashed fiercely against the rocks, Artemis felt the waves intensify and crash fiercely against the rocks, a sign of Oceanus's lingering anger. Sensing a brewing war that threatened to upset the delicate balance between land and sea, her heart raced.

Artemis decided to not immediately tell about the war to Rhodes. The mermaid wanted to hear his stories first before telling about the war to the pirate.

Undeterred, Artemis pressed on, her determination unwavering. With each stroke of her powerful tail, she propelled herself through the turbulent currents, her senses attuned . The sand beneath her finned feet shifted, rough and abrasive, reminding her of the land's harshness.

As the shoreline came into view, Artemis spotted Rhodes patiently waiting, his gaze scanning the horizon.

Artemis stopped swimming and hoisted herself on the big rock by the shore. She could still feel the water splashing against her tail. She waved at Rhodes, who stood up and walked towards her, getting wet yet again from the waist below.

Rhodes carefully hopped on the rock as well, trying not to fall fully back in the sea. Artemis extended the basket of sea treasures to Rhodes, her eyes sparkling with warmth and compassion.

"Rhodes, I bring you food from the sea," Artemis said, her voice carrying the melodies of the ocean.

Rhodes looked at the sea grapes and other stuff she had brought him. "I did manage to hunt some fish and eat them, but this is like a dessert." Rhodes smiled, bringing the grape to his mouth and taking a bite.

"Tell me, Rhodes, what is life like beyond the sea? I have heard tales of vast lands, towering cities, and boundless skies. Is it as wondrous as they say?" Artemis looked at Rhodes being curious. Her mother would probably nag at her for stalling about the war talk.

Rhodes smiled, a touch of longing in his eyes. "Aye, Artemis, the world above is a sight to behold. There are sprawling landscapes, bustling ports, and adventures that await at every turn. I've sailed through treacherous storms that threatened to tear my ship asunder. I've faced fierce sea creatures with jaws that could crush steel, and I've outmanoeuvred rival pirate captains who sought to claim my treasures."

Artemis listened intently, her eyes shimmering with a blend of admiration and curiosity. "Tell me more, Rhodes," she urged, her voice a gentle caress of the wind. "I want to hear of your travels."

Human life was interesting to Artemis. She had met humans but no pirates with many adventures like Rhodes. To the mermaid, Rhodes did not seem that old. She was curious

on his age but didn't think it was right to ask him of his age.

A mischievous grin played on Rhodes' lips as he recounted tales of hidden islands, shrouded in myth and mystery. He spoke of shimmering caves adorned with glittering gems, and forgotten shipwrecks that held secrets of long-lost treasures.