CHAPTER THREE

THE BITTER DAYS

The next morning, Esther was already up and ready for the day's job, her mom walks out of the house and she greeted her

" mama good morning " she says. Her mon nods then walked to the back of the house. After a while they left the house both in their thoughts.

The bike dropped them off in front of a huge mansion. Esther has never seen a house this big all her life, she thought this only exist in movies and stories

She watched in awe as her mon watches her silently.

"Let's go inside, we've got a lot to do today " Esther nods hurriedly following behind her mother, who rang the doorbell and the gate was opened shortly after.

Esther just couldn't stop starring, a lady in her early forties walks towards them.

"Good morning ma" Esther's mom greeted and she does the same thing

"You're early, follow me" she says walking away as they followed behind her

Soon the woman was showing and explaining where they are to clean

" there are ten room in this house, and fifteen bathrooms and toilets, the kitchen is that way, you're to clean the rooms upstairs first before anything. Everything you need is already available"

"Okay, don't worry, we'll do a good job" Esther's mom says

The lady nods then walks away.

"Mama, this house is huge and beautiful " Esther says as her Mon nods in agreement.

"You heard her right? Five rooms are upstairs with six bedrooms"

"Don't worry mom, will take care of the upstairs rooms and when am done will quickly join you downstairs" she says.

Soon they split ways and Esther walks upstairs. She's most definitely going to buy a house like this for her mom. She will. She scoffs wondering how that is going to be possible without her going to school and getting a job.

She was done with three rooms and was tired already, each rooms was big enough to share with ten people. She got to the fourth room and started cleaning but stopped while her eyes were fixed on the the pictures on the wall. Devastated she slowly started cleaning again. What will happen if she comes and see her here, in her room.

She decided to hurry. After cleaning the room and the bathroom she left for the last room. Opening the door with the spare key they were given, she twisted the knob and the door opened, inside the room was so dark that she couldn't even make out anything from the darkness. She brought out her phone and put on the torch while cursing softly she headed to the window and pulled the curtains apart.

The sun immediately peeks through giving the room enough light. Esther smiles to herself, closing her eyes slightly, she feels the low heat of the sun on her face.

She turned around and stared around the room for a while, everything about this room screams mystery. The walls were dark, to the decor and design, all pitch black. She turned to the curtains. Even those ones as well. What is this room? A cult room? She gaps while quickly grabbing her cleaning tools and started cleaning. Done with the cleaning, she went ahead to the king size bed on the middle and spread it out she touch the bed and was stunned on how soft it was. She looked at the time on the wall, and thought to herself. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to feel the softness and coolness of the bed.

She sat on it and smiled, then rest her head afterwards while inhaling the strong sweet scent coming from the covers, this same alluring scent that welcomed her when she entered the room. She inhaled deeply, closing her eyes, her mind begins to swirl with thoughts. What can she do to change her mom's mind? Are they going to be cleaner forever? Don't they deserve this much of comfort? Slowly sleep crept up on her and she welcomed it, snuggles her face more on the bed.

Her phone rings making her to jolt awake, she gaps while jumping off the bed, smoothing the covers, she grabbed her cleaning tools and walked out of the room hurriedly. How could she be that careless. What if someone saw? Arghhh! She growled softly hurrying downstairs to meet her mother who has being waiting for her for sometime.

" took you so long....." her Mon trails

"The rooms were massive Mom, had to take my time" she replies almost out of breathe

"Come, we still have the kitchen to clean" she follows her mother.

Soon enough, they were frond with the cleaning, whilst the lady from earlier walked towards them while a stiff smile

"Well done. Here's your payment" she handed a brown envelope to Esther mom who kept saying thanks.

"Please don't forget to use our devices again" Esther says. The lady stares at her for some seconds before nodding and walks off

"Come let's go" her Mon says

Esther gave the house one last look before following her mother out.

Getting home, her mother counted the money and was shocked.

"Didn't know it was going to be this much. Those people are something else mama" Esther says with a smile. She was happy they got to make a lot of income today

"That's how the rich works. Our world are two different apart. No matter how hard we try, we can't ever get to their world"

Esther was silent for a while

"But mama, why don't you want me to take that scholarship exams? If I get a good job, we could be in their world too" she says softly. Her mom stares at her for some time.

"The evil, the evil that comes with be successful is too big for a young and pure heart like you Esther, those people greed are much more than you can imagine. They use other people...... pawns in their games..... they don't care who got hurt in the process. They use people like us to their advantage and toss aside when there is no longer use for us"

Esther inhaled deeply then forced out a smile.

"It's okay...,. Me am not eating soup today oh" she jokes lightly as her mon smiles

"Sure you aren't" she replied while getting up and walked inside to her room leaving Esther alone with her thoughts.

TBC
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CHAPTER IN THE COMMENT SECTIONS
THANK YOU
YOURS SINCERELY.........,, ELCARIM ❤️