T E N

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter has mentions of suicide. Read at your own risk.

RECAP

They're not even dressed up, and yet they look incredible. Dressed in an oversized grey t-shirt with Stitch on the front, and form fitting black shorts, their braids are pulled back into a high ponytail. They're not wearing any makeup, and they look incredible.

My eyes rake up and down their body, and I have to physically remind myself to breathe before I pass out.

"Darling, we need to talk."

MARI

Immediately out of breath at his words, I feel almost like I've been punched in the gut. Any lightness that's in the air sinks quickly, and stupidly, I begin to stutter slightly.

"Uh..y-yeah, okay. Come in, I guess." Stepping back and opening the door wider, I give him more room to walk in. Not knowing whether to follow him or not, I stay perched by the door. 

When he sees me, he chuckles, "Mari I'm not going to bite, this is your room." 

He doesn't even have to look where he's going as he falls back onto my bed as if things haven't been weird between us two for days. 

And that's starting to piss me off.

He senses the change in mood and sits up quickly. "Mari, I'm just going to cut to the chase, I'm sorry for pretty much avoiding you -"

I cut him off, my mood souring more. "You did avoid me. There was no 'pretty much avoiding' me." He pauses, giving me more time to continue with my interruption and when I don't continue, he picks back up where he left off.

"I'm sorry for avoiding you. It was childish. I wish I could sit here and tell you I didn't know why I did it, but I'd be lying to you." He reaches his hand out for mine, and I don't even have to think before walking over and taking it. 

I let him pull me down next to him, and I have to remember to unlock my jaw. "You have every right to be mad at me Mar, but not speaking this last week has honestly... left me feeling unfulfilled. We only have three weeks left before you go back to America and I don't know when I'm going to be able to see you again. I was selfish, I admit it. I take full responsibility, and I wanna make this right with you. I don't know why I can't let you leave without you knowing that I'm sorry." He's fully latched onto my hand, fingers interlocked, and we're now facing each other. I don't think he's realized what he's done. What he's doing.

"Robert?"

"Yeah?"

I pull our hands up, directly in his line of sight. "Why have you been holding my hand this entire time?" He sighs and leaves the most tender kiss to my hand. A wave rushes through me, and it somehow calms and lights me on fire at the same time.

All I can do is stare at him, waiting for him to say more. Waiting for him to say it. The longing's in my eyes, so clearly seen that you'd have to be an idiot to miss it. And I don't care anymore.

"Say it." Seeing the pleading in his eyes, I repeat it. I have to hear him say it. "Say it."

"Sweetheart, you know what I'm saying. Don't make me say it." Shaking my head I squeeze Robert's hand softly, silently giving him courage. "Darling, I have feelings for you. I want to fight this, I do. But I can't. I'm done fighting it, you were sent to me. By who or what, I'm not sure. But I am so thankful you came this summer. I like you Mari. I like you a lot, and that scares me. Be mine Mari." 

What are you gonna do next Mari?

A large smile finally makes it way onto my face, and I can finally relax.