Prologue

2008
Mari's POV
The leather stings my bottom with each word.
He was drunk and angry, he always was. With each and every slap, my eyes shed more tears.

"You'll never be good enough! You're a mistake."

"Stop it Jerome! Please stop it! You're hurting my baby!" Mom took a step forward with tears falling onto the carpet.

"Mom, it's okay. I deserve it." I knew I didn't, but if I fought back I knew he would beat me even more.

There was a knock on the door and I fell to the floor. "Make a sound and I will beat you until you're unconscious." I nodded and whimpered.

"Sierra! Get the door." He put his belt back around his pants and I crawled behind the couch.

The door opened with a creak, and my neighbor, Juliana stood in the doorway.
"Can Mari come out to play?" She was four, just like me.

"She'll be out in a minute." The door slams and I stood up from behind the couch.

"Am I allowed to play with Juliana?"

"Not until I'm done with you." And with that's when everything went black.

A week later
"Mari, can you come here?"
I got up from my seat and slowly walked towards my teacher.

"Yes Miss Harper?" I refrained from looking up at her face, in fear that she would see.

"Is everything okay? You haven't looked up or answered any questions today?"

"I'm okay. I'm just not feeling good." She placed her hand under my chin and lifted my face up slowly. I looked in her eye and broke down in tears. She gasped and held me in her arms. I sat in her lap and cried, while everyone else was out playing at recess.

"I have to call someone, are you getting hurt at home?"

I sat up quickly and wiped my eyes, "You can't tell...cant tell anyone. I will...I will get in trouble. And..And my daddy will hit me with his belt. Please don't....please don't tell anyone. It hurts..it— so bad." I cried even harder and soon after passed out.

Hi everyone! I know this is sad, but this is the kind of thing that actually happens to children who have become victims of physical abuse. It is a sad reality that a lot of kids have to go through. 

But on a lesser note:

Question for the chapter: What is your favorite animal?