Chapter 1

Sovi sat on top of the Kremlin with a bottle of vodka in his hands, next to the flying flag of the Soviet Union. His flag wouldn't be flying for long, and soon he would die.

How did he get here?

Oh. He had really messed up. Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine had all left him to become independent.

The cold night air turned his breath into small clouds.

Well, if he was going to die soon, he might as well die a bit tipsy and looking upon his country, right?

He took another sip of his vodka.

Sovi had never really been a great father. He'd always been focusing on work ("it's for the betterment of the union!!", he'd always try to convince himself), or coming home drunk, flipping between crying and angry.

"...Dad. You shouldn't be drinking that much. It's bad for you." Ukraine said. Soviet Union couldn't see her features at the time, only seeing the blurred bright colors of her flower crown or the red and blue of her flag. It made her an easy target to aim his bottle at compared to the other three. Now, Soviet wondered what kind of face she was making.

Was she scared? In fear? Was she worried? Or was she indifferent, because this was simply a normal occurrence for her?

No matter the answer, Soviet regretted not spending more time with them.

Kazakhstan was a hard worker, the most determined of them. When Russia challenged Kazakh to a contest of who could build the best snowman, he ran around collecting snow and looked so focused carving out small details in the snow that he looked adorable. He even found red berries and dyed them to make a little snow family.

Are they still playing in the snow, even if they are growing up to become adults? The world will become a lot more complicated for them soon.

Belarus loved to sneak behind Soviet and try to scare him. Most of the time it didn't work, but he let Belarus think it did. Belarus caught onto that one day and said "Папа! How am I going to train my spy skills if you don't try to catch me?". She waved her arms around to emphasize, the scarf behind her moving in sync.

Soviet never noticed that Belarus no longer tried to sneak behind him any more. Now she was far more quiet, and not quiet because she wanted to train her skills.

Ukraine created her flower crown herself. Somehow, the flowers never wilted. She made similar flower crowns for each of us, including me.

"...I wonder where I put mine."

"Hmm, hmm~." Ukraine hummed a tune while weaving the flowers together. "Ромашка і соняшник!" (Chamomile and sunflower!) She held it up proudly for me to see. It was beautiful.

"I hope you like it! Yellow and white really does fit you..." Ukraine said with a bright smile.

"Oh yeah, how 'bout we add a ribbon too, heh..." She started rummaging around her craft materials looking for one...

Russia was often stone faced, but he sure did like causing a bit of chaos among his siblings,

Whenever trouble would happen and Soviet would come to investigate, Ukraine, Kazakh, and Belarus typically looked like they caused it with evidence on their hands. But they'd tell him "No way, Russia started it! He did it!". Russia watched them with a definitely innocent smirk on his face but no evidence could prove what he did.

Has their relationship soured now?

He chuckled to himself. "I guess I can't be called the Soviet Union anymore."

Soviet looked down. His hands were cracking, pieces turning to gray dust.

"I think it's time to go."

He closed his eyes as a new flag was raised up and uttered his last words.

"Прощай навеки..."