9. Meeting the Amish

The oblong blob of light at the window told me the sun was up. I remembered to put on my glasses and look at the clock rather than tap it. Six-fifteen a.m. I got up, donned my shorts and t-shirt from the day before, and trotted downstairs where I found Mom alone in the kitchen, just finishing her breakfast.

"Mornin', Mom," I said.

"Good morning, Trey. My, you're up early."

"We didn't stay up late. I think we were all tired."

"Yes, I saw your light was out. I'm glad everyone got a good rest. Let's try to keep things quiet so the others can sleep."

"I wish you could get some rest, Mom."

"Well, son, they need me at the care home, and I need the job."

I declared, "When I grow up I'm gonna get rich so you don't hafta work anymore."

Mom replied, "You might not be doing me any favor. I love my work."

"Really, Mom? But you get so tired."

"Getting tired over something you love is worth it. How many times have I seen you read until your eyes get so tired you get a headache? You're going to be a great scholar, and it will take you a long way in life, and help a lot of other people."

"If I don't go blind first."

Mom responded her voice firm, "Trey, you are not going to go blind. How many times have the doctor and I told you that?"

"How do you know that?"

"Because hardly anybody does. Why can't I get you to believe that?"

"Why can't I just see like everybody else? It just ain't fair."

"Honey, come here," she said. She pushed her chair out from the table and motioned me to sit on her lap.

"Ain't I getting a little big for that?"

"Just one more time, all right?" So I sat on her lap and put my arm around her shoulders. She took my other hand in hers.

"Trey, if anything terrible were to happen to you, you've got so many people in your life who care about you. Haven't you seen how your cousins really love you? And I think people at your school care about you a lot more than you give them credit for. And you know what? You're smart and clever. You could work your way around anything. Look at Charley, how he makes just about anything work for him."

"But Mom, I'm not Charley. I'm not anything like Charley."

"I think you're learning a lot from Charley, and you're going to learn a lot more, and you've got some things to teach him, too. Think about all that's happened since Charley came into your life. Promise me you will."

"All right, Mom. I promise."

"Now honey, I have to go. I'll be late for work."

I kissed Mom on the cheek and stood up. "I love you, Mom," I said.

"I love you too, honey. I'll see you this afternoon."

Mom gathered up her things and I followed her out to the driveway where the pickup had spent the brief night. The cooler air heralded by the storm raised goose bumps on me. Once Mom turned the pickup around I waved until she rounded the curve. Then I got my bike out from under the deck and rode up the lane to get the paper. When I returned I went to the living room and stretched out on the couch to read it. Next I knew Paul was gently shaking my arm as he asked softly, "Is the news that boring?"

"Hey, Paul. What time is it?"

"Around eight. Uncle Mack and Grandpa just left for the city, and I guess Aunt Laura and Jack and Jimmy are still asleep. Your mom's gone to work, right?"