01: pina coladas

"Cheers to the newlyweds, yeah?"

--☆--☆--☆--

"I'm going to Washington," Rory announced as she ran up to her mom and sister.

"Oh. Okay," was all Lorelai could muster up as she handed Rory her bouquet.

The song Sookie had chosen began playing over the speakers. Just as they practiced the three Gilmore walked down the stairs toward the aisle. Even though none of them were feeling it they all put on a smile not wanting to distract from Sookie's wedding.

Lorelai walked first, Cassie a few steps behind her with Rory being the last of the bridesmaids. Everyone smiled at them, not knowing that all three Gilmore women were feeling an ache in their hearts. But all three of them did their best to push through it with smiles on their faces, for Sookie.

However the second that ceremony ended the whole vibe switched. Cassie walked calmly back up the aisle but the second she was out of view she felt like she was having a heart attack.

"Cassie?" Lorelai looked at her daughter with a concerned expression on her face. Lorelai didn't know that Chris had already told Cassie he was leaving. Lorelai was going to tell her later and let her enjoy the wedding. She didn't know the wedding had already been ruined for her. "Honey, are you okay?"

"Mhm," Cassie nodded, wanting to protect her mom the same way Lorelai thought she was protecting her. "I just need some air."

"Okay," Lorelai put a comforting hand on Cassie's back, wanting to make sure she was okay. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"Lor!" Sookie yelled out excitedly when she saw her maid of honor. "Come here!"

"No, it's okay," Cassie told her mom. "I'll just be a second."

Lorelai didn't have a chance to argue since Cassie was already walking away. Cassie pushed the front door open, feeling better now that she was alone. She looked out at the parking lot, seeing the empty spot where her dad's Volvo had been parked only an hour ago.

She could feel the tears forming in her eyes again, she looked down trying to keep those tears from falling. Over and over again she reminded herself that this was supposed to be a happy day. Any tears that fell today were supposed to be tears of joys, not because her dad left them.

"Cassie?" Ethan's voice was soft, already knowing that something was off.

"Hey," Cassie quickly turned around, putting a smile on her face. With everything that happened she almost forgot she had a date, her mind was completely preoccupied. "Beautiful ceremony, huh?"