17: deep fried tofurkey

"I found chocolate turkeys!"

--☆--☆--☆--

"How much longer?" Cassie let out a tired breath as she joined Jess behind the counter.

The two of them had been left alone to close the diner. Luke claimed they could handle it, and frankly he was too tired to close himself. Everything was going fine, the usual customers came in and the two teenagers were ready with their orders and semi-polite service.

Jess tilted his head to the side to look at his watch. "Forty-five minutes," he replied as they continued to watch the two customers they had left.

"You know they were cute when they first came in," Cassie sighed as she looked at the old couple at the table. "Old people on a roadtrip to visit their grandkids. That's cute. Showing us a couple postcards, adorable."

"But then two hours passed," Jess guessed what she was going to say.

"But then two hours passed and they're still here," Cassie nodded her head in agreement. "I thought old people liked going to bed early."

"Apparently not these two. They like to keep us from enjoying a night without work."

"Big plans for a Tuesday evening?" Cassie asked him with a smile on her face as she looked over at him.

Jess scoffed at her, "Yeah right."

"Shane isn't expecting you?" Cassie asked, knowing it was a loaded question but they'd been dancing around the conversation for days, she wanted to know what was going on.

"Nope," Jess replied, not meeting Cassie's eyes.

"You know you never said what happened between you guys," Cassie remembered as she turned her head towards Jess, giving him that knowing look.

Jess nodded his head but didn't say anything. He didn't want to talk about this, in fact he's been avoiding this conversation for days. Which meant he was avoiding Cassie. It wasn't intentional, it just sort of ended up being a side effect. This was the first time they've been alone together for any extended period of time since the dance.

"You haven't said much about anything actually," She added.

"There's nothing to tell," Jess shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to talk about it.

"Oh come on," Cassie sighed as she nudged Jess' shoulder with her own. He looked at her and anyone with a brain could see the way he looked at her, but Cassie couldn't. She was the only one. "Jessica."