Chapter 3: Danger Awaits

"You're taking the campers to do WHAT?!" A frightened David exclaimed over the phone. "Relax, David. I know what I'm doing! Besides it isn't that high to begin with." Gwen replied. "But what if somebody gets hurt?!" David questioned. "Why do you think we have at least 10 first aid kits in every room?" Gwen answered. "I mean....You've got a point." There was an uncomfortable silence as David thought for a moment. "Uhhhh....You still there, David?" Gwen asked. "Yeah. Just paused for dramatic effect." David replied, leaving his co worker unamused. "Everything will be ok, David. I've watched these kids before, what makes you think I can't take them rock climbing-" The conversation was then cut off by a knock on the door. "...Talk to you later, David." Gwen said before hanging up abruptly. She bolted to the door and opened it up to see Max waiting on the other side. "What's taking you so long?" He asked. "So long with what?" Gwen asked confused. "You were supposed to give out the morning announcements 20 minutes ago." Max replied. Gwen turned her head to look at the clock only to notice it was almost 10:30. "Shit..." She mumbled. "Just... Head back to the mess hall. I'll be there shortly." She said before shooing Max off the porch. "DON'T FORGET MY COFFEE!" Max shouted from outside as Gwen shut the door. 

Max made his way to his usual table inside the mess hall. "Hey Max!" Nikki greeted from afar, waving him down. "You know I'm not blind, Nikki." Max said before sitting in between his two friends. "Do you know if Gwen is coming or not?" Neil asked. Max simply shrugged and began to eat his breakfast. "I wonder what kind of adventure we'll go on today!" Nikki mused. "I'm not sure there will be much 'adventuring' without David in charge." Neil said. "You never know guys." Max added. "Gwen is certainly more tolerable than David." Neil and Nikki leaned in, in shock of what Max had just said. "You...LIKE Gwen?" Neil uttered. "I didn't say I LIKED her. I just said she was more tolerable than David!" Max replied. "Yeah, Neil. Max 'liking' Gwen would be kinda gross. And pretty creepy too, even for my standards." Nikki added. "I didn't mean THAT kind of like!" Neil retorted. Max quickly began to get irritated but before he could say anything, he heard the door open. The kids fell silent as Gwen entered with a cup of coffee in each hand. "Didn't sleep last night, huh Gwen?" Nikki said. "No, Nikki. The extra cup is for Max." Gwen replied handing the extra cup to Max. The counselor began to try and get the kids' attention. "Alright everybody. Today's activity is gonna be a lot different from what lame shit we usually do around here." The campers were silent, how different could the activity possibly be? "And what's that? Are we getting a stupid kiddie pool for all of us to swim in?" Nurf heckled, causing a slight laughter from the other campers. "On the contrary, Nurf." Gwen said, pausing for dramatic effect. "She's pausing! I love when people do that!" Preston pointed out. "...We will be going rock climbing today!" Gwen announced, causing a rapid buzz of excitement from the campers. ...Well... Except for Max that is. 

"I really thought you'd be excited about this, Max." Gwen said, sitting next to the 10 year old. "Come on, Gwen. We know how this is gonna play out." Max said drinking his coffee. "You'll just drag us to some park with one of those rock climbing towers and boom: camp activity." He took another sip, Gwen smirked at the claim. "...You REALLY think that's what I was planning?" She questioned, Max nodding in response. "Y'know you just might be surprised as to what I have in store." Gwen said. "I might not be as lame as you think." Max rolled his eyes at this claim. "And what makes you think I'm gonna believe THAT?!" Max scoffed before finishing the last of his meal. Before Gwen could answer, her phone began to buzz again. So she answered. "Hello?" She spoke. "Are you guys going rock climbing yet?!" David asked over the line. "...No, David." Gwen sighed. "I'm just getting the kids ready to hit the trail." She continued. "O-Ok..." David replied. "If you think I don't have things under control, I do!" Gwen said, quickly excusing herself form the table. She walked outside, trying to reason with David before she finally blurted out "Do you NOT TRUST ME?!" She shouted, causing some birds to fly out of their nests. "That's not it at all Gwen!" David replied over the phone. "Then why are you so worried about me taking the kids rock climbing?!" Gwen questioned, trying to catch her breath. An uncomfortable silence ensued for a moment as Gwen tried to get into the right headspace. "...Because I don't want the kids to get hurt." David said. Gwen gave a weak smile, "They'll be fine, David. I promise." She said. "And if someone gets hurt, I'll take care of them." She reassured her friend once again that everything was gonna be ok before they hung up. Gwen turned and saw the kids all lined up for what they were considering the best activity they've had at Camp Campbell thus far!

"We're ready to go rock climbing now, Gwen!!!" Nikki squealed excitedly. Her eyes practically beaming at the thrill of what was to come. "Whatever, I already know how this is gonna play out." Max said rolling his eyes. Gwen shrugged and instructed the kids to follow her in a single file. The campers obeyed, with the exception of Max walking beside Gwen. Which she didn't mind, as long as he was within eyeshot. But Max was in for a surprise when he found out that they weren't actually going to a park. But an actual peak by the lake. It wasn't too high, so the kids would still be safe and unharmed as long as they were careful enough. He was speechless. The kids walked over to the peak and were in awe. Gwen leaned in towards Max and whispered "Guess I'm not so lame after all, am I Max?" But Max was too shocked to speak. she got in front of the kids while Max stood in place. "Well campers? Danger soon awaits us..." Nikki schemed.