Chapter 6: Enter MomGwen

After what seemed like an eternity, Max and Gwen were eventually back on the road. Max remained silent for the rest of the car ride and it wasn't long before they arrived at the hospital. Gwen pulled into the nearest parking spot in a crowded lot and got out of the car. She went to open the door for Max seeing as he was suffering enough as it is. "We're here, Max." She said softly. Max felt his heart begin to race before the counselor calmed him down. "Want me to help you out?" Rather than take her hand, Max clung onto Gwen like a leech. Gwen read his signal loud and clear. "Carrying it is." She whispered as she carried Max in her arms. 

Back at Camp, the kids stuck their notes to the outside of the mess hall to dry. "I really hope Max is ok." Said Space Kid. "Me too..." Nerris replied. "I'm sure he'll cheer up at the sight of our get well cards!" Nikki tried reassuring her friends, which had a small effect on them. "EUREKA!" Exclaimed Preston, causing the kids to avert all eyes on him. "What is it, Preston?" Neil asked. "What if we each do something special for Max to make him feel better!" Preston explained. The kids mumbled to each other before agreeing that it actually wasn't a bad idea after all. "I'll start writing a screenplay we can put on for him when he comes back from the hospital!" The theater kid added. "I'll make him a painting!" Said Dolf. "Then we can send him to space!" Exlcaimed Space Kid. "NO!" The other kids yelled, rejecting his idea. "...Just spitballing here..." Space Kid mumbled. "Let's all brainstorm our ideas in our tents this evening." Nikki said. "Yeah, then we can report back tomorrow morning and get started on our projects!" Neil added. The rest of the campers agreed and dismissed themselves to their tents. "...I don't know what I'm gonna do." Nurf said as he stood there by himself. 

Meanwhile, Max was sitting in the waiting room while Gwen signed him in. the surprisingly empty room was intimidating for him, feeling like he was living in a scene ripped straight from a horror movie. But he tried to put on a brave face. Eventually, Gwen finished signing the seemingly endless paperwork and sat in a chair next to him. "You ok, Max?" She asked, Max nodding in response, even though he was still really scared. "...How long are we gonna be here?" He whispered. "I have no idea, kid..." Gwen replied. She pulled out a journal and started writing in it. "Are you writing fanfiction again?" Max questioned, Gwen humming in response. Usually, he'd insult her hobby, but he was too tired to do that. The lights in the room were giving him a headache. "Y'know, there's a food court here in case you want something to eat before we have to go back to our hospital room?" Gwen suggested. "...That doesn't sound so bad." Max replied quietly. Gwen gave a weak smile. "Anything particular you'd like?" She asked. Max thought for a moment. "Just something small." He said. The counselor got up and tucked the journal under her arm as she approached the food court. Max waited for a few minutes until she returned with a cup of coffee for herself and a toasted bagel with cream cheese for Max. "Here you go." She said, handing the bagel to Max, he slowly took it from her with his one arm. "Thank you..." He replied before taking a few bites. "Look on the bright side, you could maybe get some rest once we get to our room." Said Gwen, trying to encourage the child while she sipped on her coffee. Max ate as much of the bagel as he could, managing to eat most of it before leaving a small nub. "You done?" Gwen asked, Max nodded. She took the remainder of the bagel and tossed it in the trash with her empty cup. Max expected Gwen to scold him for "wasting food," but her response was different. She didn't say anything and just tossed the food like it was nothing. "You aren't gonna yell at me?" He asked. "No! Of course not!" Gwen replied. "Why would I yell at you?" She questioned. "J-Just forget I said anything." Max said, starting to tear up again. Gwen wrapped her arm around him again, "We'll be out of here before you know it..." She whispered, wiping away his tears. Pretty soon, Max's name was called and he turned his head to Gwen. "You're coming with me...Aren't you?" He asked. "Of course." Gwen replied. "Want me to carry you again or do you wanna walk?" She said, giving him a choice. "I think I'll walk this time." Max replied. He got up and took Gwen's hand as they walked off. 

As most hospital stays go, by the time they were admitted, it was already sunset back at camp. Neil was writing down some science stuff in a journal of his while still thinking of what he could do for Max. He heard the tent flap open slowly. "Neil?" He heard someone whisper, he looked down and saw Nikki poking her head into the tent. "Sorry to bother you but..." She said. "But?" Neil asked. "I can't sleep..." Nikki replied with a hint of sadness in her voice. "I can't stop worrying about Max. I know he's probably doing just fine out there, but I just..." She stopped for a minute. "I feel terrible..." She felt a lump in her throat as she said those words. Neil put his journal down and went to comfort his friend. "I should have never climbed to the top of that peak. ...I shouldn't have climbed at all!" Nikki blamed herself for Max's injury. Neil wanted to say that yes, she should have thought before acting on it, but he knew that would make her feel worse. "Did you push Max off that cliff?" He asked, Nikki shook her head. "Of course not. One of the rocks just broke off!" He said. "It's not your fault Max got injured, Nikki." Neil said, reassuring Nikki. She looked him in the eye for a minute and asked one favor. "C-Can I sleep here tonight? ...Please?" She begged. Neil knew how guilty she felt and obliged. "You can have Max's cot. I bet it's super uncomfortable laying in a sleeping bag." He said. "Thanks, Neil..." Nikki said quietly. 

Back at the hospital, Max was sitting on a bed while Gwen sat in a chair next to him. His anxiety had lowered a bit, but still felt reasonably nervous. Gwen wanted to tell him something for a while at this point, but never had the courage. But something in her finally gave her the guts to speak up. "Y'know, I'm afraid of doctors too, Max." She admitted, his face went from blank to shocked. "You?" He gasped. "Afraid of doctors?" He couldn't believe his ears. "Yeah. Ever since I was a kid." She said. "But you're an adult!" Max said. "So?" Gwen replied. "Even adults can be scared of going to the doctor sometimes." Max still had a hard time thinking about this info. He knew Gwen had anxiety, but never assumed it would go this far. "I even stopped going all together after I moved out." She confessed. "Why?" Max asked. Gwen began to tense up a bit. "Well, Max. Whenever I would even try to schedule an appointment, I'd have a panic attack so severe that I'd just shut down." She admitted. "What do you mean by that?" Max questioned. "It means  basically couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I'd just lay in my bed, paralyzed with fear." Gwen said as her hands began to shake. "I'm... Sorry, Gwen" said Max. Gwen smiled, "It's ok... I've gotten used to it at this point." The child relaxed in his hospital bed, still feeling bad his current caretaker had it that rough. "Does David know about this yet?" He asked. "I'll try and call him soon." Gwen said. 

Pretty soon, the doctor came in to assess Max. Giving the counselor a chance to call her fellow co worker.