Chapter 72

~ Three Months Later ~

Lauren's POV:

Well, I'm down to one injury now instead of four. And dear God am I glad.

Though I tried my hardest most days to remain positive, and not fall into a depression over this, it was a true pain in the ass. I couldn't do anything for myself; not shower, go to the restroom, use the stairs, or even walk from A to B. It was frustrating to say the least. And having to bring a wheelchair, that you can't even wheel yourself because your arm's in a sling, made it no better.

But now, the wheelchair's gone, and I use a crutch to get around, by myself at that. It was hard at first, sure, but I've gotten the hang of it lately.

Mostly, I wanted to get into the swing of doing things myself so that Sade could see that I was capable of doing so. She refuses to admit it, but she needs to go back to work. Hell, I need her to go back to work. It's because of me that she's not doing her job or the things she was doing before we decided to move in together anyway, and I feel terrible about it.

Though Sade's done nothing but show otherwise, I've felt like an inconvenience since the accident. To her, and in general. A part of me used to sometimes wish that I'd just died in that car. Seeing Sade do everything in her power to make sure I was comfortable and alright, and being unable to even do anything to help myself or her...it made me feel like shit on the inside. Like I wasn't worth anything, and shouldn't have survived in the first place.

Sade doesn't know, and I've yet to tell her, but I'd heard her, at the hospital. The pleading tone in her voice as she cried, and the words she said to me. Despite everything I'd been feeling lately, I didn't want to leave her... I couldn't. Though afterwards, I felt selfish for even doing that, realizing she'd be taking care of me during recovery. I appreciated it, and her, beyond words. But it just... I felt really bad about it.

That feeling, of genuine helplessness... It's awful. Wouldn't recommend it at all.

However, today... Today I was in high spirits.

Yesterday, Sade went back to work for the first time in months, and I was completely fine being here alone. Yes, I missed her, but I didn't have any troubles making my way around on my own, and I was proud of myself for that. Of course I wasn't happy to be without her, no, but I was happy for her to be back at the place that makes her happy. She doesn't express it much these days, but that company is her baby, and I knew she'd missed it.

That also means I have the place to myself today, and more days after. I honestly feel like a kid alone in a candy store. Yesterday, I did nothing but chill. But today, I thought about going outside. Then, I figured it'd probably be too dangerous, so I held off on that. However what I did want to do, was bake.

Nonstop, these past few months, I'd been watching baking shows on Netflix. And since I'm injured and bored, I thought why not?

It was around eleven in the morning now, and Sade was supposed to be home around six. That left me seven hours to bake this cake I saw on Pinterest, cook dinner, and clean up before she walked through the door. If Hunter was home today, I'd probably see if she wanted to come hang out with me. If not, I'd probably just call my dad.