Chapter 2 // Pinky Promises & A Dragon Heart

Once our eyes connect for a moment, then he ducks his face back down. He begins violently shaking his head, again sinking his fingers into his matted hair; tightening his fists.

"Gabriel..." I whisper, consternation clouding up my brain. Gabriel Cooper is the drummer for one of the nation's hottest boybands: Costal Minefield; they've captured the hearts of thousands of girls which is why I don't understand what he's doing here.

"I don't get it." I say, cupping my hands around my mouth in bewilderment. I ponder for another moment and then finally ask, "I-I don't... I can't wrap my head around this. Why would you, out of all people, want to... kill yourself?" I wince at the last two words.

"I'm just another person, you know."

"I get that, just-"

"The problem is that people don't understand that. They think that because I'm famous that I'm constantly happy. Everyone- never mind."

"No, please continue." He exhales a heavy sigh.

"Everyone wants to get to know "Gabriel Cooper, the boy in the band" not "Gabriel Cooper, your typical teenager from just another small town." He chews at his lip, his eyes closed.

"Well people suck, they only want what you are on the outside, not who you are on the inside. That's okay though, it's those people that can see who you really are that love you so much more than anyone who loves you for just your looks and your fame."

"I'm just so sick of people seeing me for who they want me to be rather than who I am." I see him try to hold down a muffled cry, attempting to swallow it but his eyes squeeze together extremely hard and his emotions take over; he sobs. I scoot closer so that I'm sitting beside him. I place my legs in crisscross-applesauce formation, my one leg touching his. I place my hand on his shoulder gently.

"People see what they want to see and it's such a shame because there's so much more depth then what their eye are willing to notice." With that he turns to look directly at me, our faces just a whopping five inches apart. This time, he holds my gaze longer until his eyes wander across my face, first my cheeks, then my forehead, my lips, and then back to my eyes. I blush, getting self-consious about the acne on my forehead and the freckles that spot beneath my eyes; not many people observe my face like this.

"Who are you?" He asks. He blinks and I watch as a droplet falls off of his lashes and slides down his cheek only to meet his jeans below.

I clear my throat, "I'm Nicole." I turn the corners of my lips up in an attempt to smile and lighten the mood.

We sit in silence for a while, eventually he lays down on the concrete, placing his arms on his stomach. I lay beside him at a safe distance.

"The sky," I begin while staring up; the rain has now turned to a mist.

"What about it?" Comes Gabriel's croaky voice once more.

"It's so beautiful..." I whisper, my voice dreamy. He must realize that it takes my breath away because from the corner of my eye I see him turn to face me.

"It is like all the stars represent lost souls and they're all trying to find their way back home. They don't always twinkle and shine, but they're always there. Together they all create something so captivating for us, the lost souls on Earth, to enjoy as we try to find our place as well." After I speak I notice the slightest smile coming from him; I turn to face him but before I know it, it's gone. Just like that.

He begins getting up slowly, further leading me to hop up a moment later, ready for him to run again. He begins dragging his feet down the path, kicking the puddles. He turns around and looks at me standing here dumbfounded.