46

a dialogue
(bold text for simone, normal text for elsie)

six o'clock in the morning | elsie's home

Veggie fried rice and a warm cup of milk for today!

Hala. . . sarap tignan Eliii.

Hihi, thank yo-

Moni, are you alright?

Hmm? Oo naman!

You're hot, ang putla mo rin. Do you have a fev-

E-Eli, I'm okay. Kain ka na, ang sarap ng sinangag mo. We'll be late na rin!

Mmm.

(in a hushed voice)
But your hands are cold. . .

Eli? Naka-pout? Why are you pouting? Halaaaa.

Ang cute mo, bakit ganon?

Hala, Moni.

Hehe.

Naramihan ko yung butter na nalagay ko, is the flavor strong? Or is it just my taste bud?

Hmm. . . oo nga. Kaya pala lasang butter kanina!

Elsie?

Why are you quiet?

Moni. . .

(Elsie was pouting upon knowing that Simone was lying to her about her health.)
Wala naman akong in-add na butter. . .

Eli. . .

Halaaaa, sorry. I thought I'll be okay because I already took the medicine pero... bumigat yata pakiramdam ko.

You shouldn't have. . .

Hmm?

Hala.

Eli, bakit ka naluluha?

(A golden retriever, Boni went close to Elsie as if she was checking on her. As if she knows how sad and guilty she feels right now.)

Hindi ka na sana pumunta... Nagpahinga ka nalang sana. Moni, sana sinabi mo sakin na-

Elsie.

Ayaw kong mag-isa kang kumain.

But-

I wanted this, Eli. I don't wany to think kasi na kayo lang ni Boni kakain ngayong umaga na mag-isa.

Kain na tayo, lalamig na food.

This won't do.

Hm?

Go to my room please.

Ha. . .?

Hala.

Bakit?

I'll give you pajamas na rin, idadaan ko na rin food mo with your medicine don. Can you swallow tablets?

Elsie- teka, bakit? Papasok tayo.

No, me only. You will rest.

I'll tell tita na.

No, huwag. Marami siyang ginagawa, due na ng manuscript niya today and she's still proof reading.

Pero Moni, you're more important

I don't want to burden her, hmm?

Oh? You're pouting again

Sunny friend ko, that's a lot na. Mamaya may dark clouds na above your head!

If ayaw mo ma-bother mom mo, which I believe you were never a bother to your lovely mom then akin ka today.

Huh . . .

Sayo sino?

Ako?

I'll take care of you this morning, kaya you should allow me. No saying no.

Elsie. . .

(With Elsie's warm and soft hand holding Simone's hand, Elsie's alluring gaze that studied Simone's body to check her condition, and Elsie saying "akin ka" to Simone, the latter can't seem to fathom whether her cheeks were red because of her fever or if it's because of how Elsie acted.)

(But when Elsie spoke once again, she knew what was the reason for her flushed cheeks and rapid heartbeat.)

Moni ko, let me take care of you, okay?