Part 19: Liam

It took two hours for the freighter to reach the designated coordinates. True faster than light drives were still a thing of the past, but modern ship engines could come close. The freighter sped as fast as it could through the black void of space, distant stars and planets dotting the view through the command deck forward display. A massive nebula grew brighter and more prominent as they arrowed towards the edge of Raiel Space.

The freighter had a battery of four mid-rang cannons, arrayed two to either side of the stubby vessel. Liam had suggested The Songs make sure the guns were in working order. They delegated that task to Monch who took to it with aplomb. The smugglers hurried to patch up the ship's hull as they rapidly went through routine maintenance checks. Anything that didn't need immediate attention was put aside to ensure the freighter's battle readiness.

Unfortunately, the vessel was no warship. Liam became acutely aware of this important detail as the ship's sensors suddenly registered multiple contacts. The Captain put that area of space on the display and the screen flashed with distant explosions. Scores of tiny ships swarmed much larger and slow-moving craft. As they drew closer a trawler-class ship exploded under the assault of the smaller, faster ships.

"Are those–" Hitman started as the display zoomed in.

"Croabarbos," Nubia hissed.

The crew immediately began to panic.

There were many races excluded from the Combine of Galactic Governor's council seats. Most were species with populations too small to warrant their own chair and embassy. These creatures banded together in a faction known as The Union. The Union's seat was a new development, but they wasted no time pushing for changes to galactic policy that would provide them with more rights and protections. There were only two races too large for The Union and unwelcome by the CGG council: The Hortisk and The Croabarbos.

The former were loosely affiliated bands of shapeshifting pirates who reaved wherever they could make landfall; pillaging, raping, and consuming any and everything. The latter were the remnants of a vast empire turned to raiding and theft. Sanctioned for their aggression and violence, The Croabarbon Empire was permanently prohibited from taking part in the CGG. In response, the fallen empire declared war on every nation sitting upon the council. Their raids were fast and bloody and their forces were vast.

"Of all places, why here and why now," Hitman grumbled.

"We're near the border between Human Space and Raiel Space." Nubia said as she tied her braids back. "They love smash and grab tactics along the established edges. Aside from the felarnians, who respond to any border incursion with immediate overwhelming military might, most Combine Nations send investigatory forces first. The Toads do as much damage as they can then retreat before anyone can make them pay."

She tucked her hair under a bright yellow bandanna. She spoke from her time as a pirate, dodging the authorities as they stalked the void.

"They rarely risk clashing with the Felarnian Hunts," Scott said with pride, "but they constantly harass the raiel."

Scott didn't have to say it, but Liam heard the implied condemnation. It was because the raiel have no standing military that the croabarbos take advantage of them.

The sensors chimed as another raiel ship moved into the area. It was twice the size of the freighter, resembling the head of a wide tuning fork. It whizzed past the Song Brother's ship, deploying a dozen pill-like smaller boats. When he was a soldier in the EC such a ship arrived right after the vessel he was stationed on was struck by a massive chunk of untracked debris and lost propulsion. The raiel hospital ship had saved them and recovered the bodies thrown into space by the impact.