Chapter 4

New Beginnings

     Jediya had an unsettling dream where she found herself back in her childhood home, a worn and battered Section 8 housing unit situated in a neighborhood besieged by gang activity. The structure itself, marked by the ravages of time, along with the humble, yet cherished pieces of furniture that adorned its interior, stood as poignant echoes of the hardships she had faced growing up. Despite their decrepit state, these surroundings held a certain nostalgia for Jediya. They encapsulated both the struggles and the resilience that characterized her early years. The dream revisited not only the physical aspects of her former dwelling but also invoked the emotional landscape of her past. It intertwined memories of adversity with those of perseverance and hope.

     "Why are you and Mommy arguing, Daddy?" asked a young Jediya, her voice quivering with fear.

     "Stay out of it and mind your own damn business!" Marcus snapped back, his tone dripping with anger.

     "Go to your room, sweetheart. Mommy and Daddy need to sort things out," Angela interjected, her voice betraying her own turmoil and distress.

     The young Jediya was caught in the grips of a haunting memory, feeling helpless and powerless to alter the distressing verbal confrontation that unfolded before her. The setting was deeply familiar, intensifying the emotional chaos swirling within her and amplifying her torment as she navigated through the shadows of her past.

     "Where's all my money?" demanded Marcus, his anger mounting.

     "Just give me some more time. The neighborhood's been slow lately," pleaded Jediya's mother, attempting to explain.

     During the distressing experience, Jediya became more and more consumed by the moment, her emotions resonating deeply within the confines of her childhood home. The tension was palpable, and the familiar setting was now overshadowed by the unfolding nightmare. Her emotional turmoil seemed to reverberate off the walls of her once comforting home, amplifying the sense of dread and uncertainty that hung heavily in the air. The situation was not only a physical confinement within her childhood home, but also an emotional vortex that dragged her deeper into despair.

     "I gave you enough time," he yelled, striking her across the face.

     Roused abruptly from her deep sleep, Jediya was suddenly brought back to consciousness by her sister, Jayla. With a vigorous shake, Jayla managed to awaken her, her face a canvas of shock and worry. The urgency in Jayla's actions and the emotions etched on her face suggested something was amiss, propelling Jediya into a state of alertness as she tried to grasp the situation unfolding around her. This unexpected wake-up call, delivered with such intensity by her sister, underlined the gravity of the circumstances that lay ahead.

     As Jediya's eyes fluttered open, Jayla's anxious voice cut through the silence. "Diya, wake up! You were having a nightmare," she exclaimed urgently.

     Bewildered, Jediya responded, "What happened?" Her voice was thick with confusion.

     "You were screaming 'stop fighting' so loudly. I was scared something had gotten into you," Jayla elaborated, her fear for her sister evident in her trembling voice.

     "Are you okay, Diya? That dream seemed pretty intense," Jayla murmured, scooting closer to offer a comforting embrace to her sister.