one

San took in a deep breath of fresh air as he jumped off the bus. The air was warm and the sun was soft, shining down through the trees. In front of him was the familiar path through the woods that called his name. This was the first time he'd walk down it alone, and the last he would walk down it as a student. He'd just graduated high school, ready for his next steps in life, and to begin them he was at summer camp. The same camp he'd been going to since he was a preteen. Surrounded by nature and friendly faces, he would find himself again and find out where to go next. He had a month until going back to civilization. No phones, no internet, just nature and books. He was ready for the next chapter to begin.

     He walked down the path, listening to the sounds of birds and bugs, the wind hitting the leaves softly and the crunch of sticks beneath his feet. His backpack felt light against his shoulders despite holding his entire wardrobe. As soon as he'd stepped on these grounds he'd felt freed of his stress. Finally in the place he loved, free to breathe and to be. He was a bit disappointed to go alone this time. He usually had friends to tag along, but they'd expressed to San that they'd just grown out of going to the camp and were focusing on building their adult lives instead. They always seemed busy nowadays, at work or doing homework, always something. And they never showed up to church anymore or any of the functions. San wondered if they'd grown out of that too. He couldn't imagine that. Growing out of the place where he belonged.

     San ignored these thoughts as he walked along, a smile growing on his face as the familiar registration cabin came into view. He would make new friends this year, ones who hadn't grown out of faith. He practically skipped into the registration cabin, feeling light on his feet as he caught sight of the familiar counsellors. One of them, brother Eunhyuk, looked up at him with a smile.

     "Choi San! I'm so glad you decided to come back this year!" He exclaimed from behind the counter. San smiled at him and nodded.

     "How could I not?" He chuckled. "I practically grew up here." He headed towards the desk to grab his information. "I'm gonna come back as a counsellor next year. So I can help kids the way I was helped by the program." San sighed dreamily. Eunhyuk's smile was comforting.

     "I'm so happy to hear that. It's always a blessing to have you around." The older man said. He handed San a few papers on a clipboard with a pen attached. "You'll be in cabin 2b this month. Down near the lake." Eunhyuk told him. San hummed and nodded, signing off his papers for allergies and medical history.

     "I haven't been in that one since I was a kid." San chuckled. He wondered if it was still the same. On his way out of the cabin San stumbled into someone. He smelled him before he could see him. The stench of pine and skunk invaded his senses and he couldn't help but cringe. The stranger looked at him with wide eyes and muttered out a quick apology. San only moved to the side, silently letting him pass. San was unfamiliar with the smell that had hit him, but he'd been warned against it before and wondered if it was what he thought it was. He hoped he wouldn't be close to this person as he slinked past them and out into the fresh air again. He found his cabin easy enough, remembering exactly where it was. It was a quaint little thing, all wood and screen windows, an old wooden door with a worn brass handle. San stepped up the stairs to it and allowed himself inside. He was surprised to see a person already inside.

     Their back was to him, in the corner of the room making their bed on a cot. It seemed as if they'd moved it there, seeing as the rest of the beds, the bunk bed and the second cot, were in the middle of the room, closer together. San dropped his bag near the entrance, startling the other person who turned around quickly. San felt his breath leaving his lungs at the sight of the stranger. He had long black hair and chiselled features, like a statue carved by the greats. San's mouth parted at the image. He looked like a painting San had seen years ago, Alexandre Cabanel's fallen angel. San realised he was staring and stepped away from the door, letting it close behind him.