2: Jules

2: Jules

Blood dried sticky to the bottom of boots and it made for a mess when trekking through snow. Jules' sword laid heavy in her hands. A comfortable weight. Her fleet stood behind her, their ships lining the shores of Kaden. She'd expected the town's people to cower and tremble - Kadenens were so small and frail after all. But they'd put up quite the rebellion and her troops had had to supress the people with brute force. Her men taking far too many casualties than she'd prefer. She'd considered taking a few war prisoners. Even the paupers and peasants of Kaden had soft skin and milky thighs but she hadn't wanted to risk negotiations.

If King Koal felt that his people were threatened, he may attempt to wage an all out war and though Floren would most likely win, she was against unnecessary sacrifices. So the townsfolk who had raised their pitchforks were tied up and thrown into their neighbour's wooden homes.

"Light a pyre," Queen Juliana announced to her second in command. "And send word to King Koal that negotiations are to be held midday tommorow or his townsfolk with be burnt and fed to the wolves." She waved her hand to dismiss him and he stalked off.

Then she retired to her ship and let her lovers bathe her in the captains quarters. Rinley, a 27 year old beauty of the sunny lands of the south carded through her hair. He had become unnaturally clingy ever since boarding the ships. She'd believed it to be his negative response to the frigid weather. He was from warmer lands than even Floren could provide. Currently, he was absorbed in untangling the knots that the wind had formed in her hair when she'd been riding her horse through the battlefield. She'd been enjoying the massage before he'd uttered a soft whine below her ear. His fingers paused ominously and she sighed at the dramatics. The South and their theatre.

"Is it true what they say?" Rinley asked grabbing the bejewelled comb on the counter. "That our queen is ready to stand behind a new king."

The rest of the boys stiffened, only calming when she huffed out a laugh and stretched in the warm water, now tinted pink from the blood that had dried on her skin. "I stand behind no one." She reached an arm behind her and petted Rinley's cheek affectionately, "And it is not your place to concern yourself with politics."

He hummed a sulky little tune into her brown curls and moved her long hair to the side. Placing a soft kiss on her bronze skin, right at the curve of her spine. She shivered.

"I simply worry you will forsake us for the pretty wolf of the north," he whispered mournfully.

"He's a child," she tutted, gesturing until soft grapes were fed into her mouth.

"A pretty child," Rinley pouted.

"Indeed," she hummed, remembering his pale locks and milky skin from his coming of age. They'd dressed him in gold and his blue eyes had sparkled against the fabric like freshly dug lapis lazuli. "A very pretty child. Beloved by his nation and his army. Enough that they'd go to war rather than simply hand him over."

"So you do want him them?" he hissed, throwing the comb down in a fuss and letting her hair drop down against the back of the bath. She rolled her eyes as he stalked over to sulk by the oil cabinet.

She motioned at the rest of the boys, who were all newer to her than Rinley, "Leave." They fled like little doves from the bathroom. She did not want Rinley's spoilt attitude corrupting all their good manners. She liked a bit of fire. On occasion, but Rinley had become so stubborn as of late.

She watched his back as he shuffled through the bottles. The way his dark skin wrapped around the fine muscles of his shoulders. The way his arms curved and flexed. "Come here."

He turned around coyly. Before sinking into the waters beside her, his warm thighs pressed against her own. She cupped his jaw. "Kaden will not bow to me. They will fight me at every turn. So I need to leash the little wolf and then the rest of the pack will come running."