07. Happy Birthday Belly

"Morning everyone!" Belly walked into the kitchen.

There was a chorus of 'Heys!' coming from everyone's mouths as the birthday girl walked in and they revealed the breakfast they had prepared for her. Everyone took their turns wishing Belly a happy birthday.

After she declined her usual birthday breakfast that had become a tradition over the summers in Cousins, everyone decided to give her their presents. From Laurel, she got a book that had the poem that Susannah had recited to the children for years. From Susannah she got a pearl necklace that she had gotten for her sweet sixteenth, Angelica recognized it was a matching set to the pearl earrings she had gotten two years ago for hers.

Jeremiah had got her a good luck charm for her to add to her bracelet and Steven got her a Princeton sweatshirt. This caused uncomfortable tension between Laurel and Steven when he revealed he was still hoping to get in. Conrad gave Belly his gift to ease the tension which was a necklace with a seashell on it. Then finally, from Angelica, she got a scrapbook full of pictures from the past summers and notes from herself to Belly.

"Thank you guys," Belly truly appreciated everyone's gifts.

"I got to go," Conrad spoke up. "I promised Cleveland that I'd show him some knots today, Happy birthday Belly."

"I also have to go," Angelica got up and grabbed her bag. "I'm going to go hang out with Robert."

"Don't forget to invite him to tonight's dinner!" Susannah calls out to her as she walks out of the house behind Conrad.

"I won't!"

"Have fun with Robert," Conrad muttered, trying to sound nonchalant, but there was a hint of bitterness in his tone.

Angelica glanced at him, catching the undertone in his voice. "I will," she replied calmly, trying not to let his comment affect her. They parted ways and she met up with Robert at a small cafe near the boardwalk.

The lively atmosphere of the cafe was filled with the sweet melodies of live music, setting the perfect backdrop for Angelica and Robert's hangout. They sat across from each other at a cozy table, sipping their coffee and engaging in casual conversation.

"So, tell me more about yourself, Robert," Angelica said with a warm smile. "I've known you for about a day and there's so much I don't know." Robert chuckled. "Well, I'm a musician. I play the guitar and write my own songs. It's been my passion for as long as I can remember." Angelica's eyes lit up with genuine interest. "Wow, that's amazing! I love music too. I play and write too. It's my way of expressing myself and escaping from the world sometimes."

"Really? That's incredible!" Robert replied, his admiration for her evident in his eyes. "We should definitely play together sometime, share some songs, and see where our music takes us."

They continued chatting about their favorite artists, music inspirations, and the stories behind their songs. Angelica was pleasantly surprised at how much they had in common, and she felt a connection growing between them. She even told him about the deal she had signed with the help of her dad.

As they laughed and shared more stories, Angelica couldn't deny the chemistry they had. But in the back of her mind, she couldn't help but think about Conrad.

Despite the undeniable spark between her and Robert, Angelica still held a special place in her heart for Conrad. She knew she hadn't fully moved on from their past, and she felt a sense of guilt for enjoying her time with Robert while still being in love with someone else.

As the morning turned into afternoon, Angelica finally gained the courage to invite him to Belly's birthday dinner. "Hey, Robert," she said. "Would you like to join me for dinner tonight it's for my family friend's birthday dinner. She's like my sister."