Chapter 15

"If I was the Ghost Bridegroom and I was offered this bride, I would kill the whole village." Fu Yao said in revulsion.

'Is that really something a junior official should say? He sounds more like the Ghost Bridegroom." The officials thought.

"Fu Yao, that isn't something an official should say. You should fix that tendency of yours to roll your eyes. Why don't you set a goal to only roll your eyes five times a day?' Xie Lian said.

"Even if you told him to only roll his eyes fifty times a day, it wouldn't be enough even then!" Nan Feng said.

Suddenly, a man stepped out of the procession,
"Are you listening to me? It's completely useless to continue this hunt, have we ever encountered it?"
The men in the procession also agreed with that man's sentiments.

"I suggest we charge directly up to Mount Yujun. We'll search the mountain, find the ugly freak and capture it! Then we'll split the bounty money!" That man said.

Ling Wen sighed, "Had His Highness not shown up when he did, they most definitely would have died."
"That, or nothing would have happened. After all, the Ghost Bridegroom does seem to have a preference."
Pei Ming finished.

"Who would've guessed the Ghost Bridegroom wasn't a bridegroom in the first place?" Pei Ming said.

"It was one of your mistresses."
Ling Wen said.
"Yes, Xuan Li, right?... Or was it Xuan Qi?" Pei Ming frowned as he went through the names in his head.
"Do you really not remember?"
Shi Wudu said with an exasperated look.

"How am I supposed to remember every woman I've ever dated?" Pei Ming said defensively. Of course every official, even the mortals, knew of Pei Ming's past and present habits. But how could he not remember the name of the general from the enemy army he had a fling with...?

The men in the group started to agree more and more. And their voices started to get louder.
"Sir, what is this ugly freak they're speaking of?" Xie Lian asked the tea sommelier.

"It is said that the Ghost Bridegroom is a hideous being who hides in Mount Yujun. And because of this, no woman wants to be with him. Thus, out of jealousy he takes the brides to prevent the couples from being happy either."  The tea sommelier answered.

'We were way off. The first warning sign should've been the lack of Ming Guang temples in Mount Yujun.' Xie Lian thought.

That wasn't in the scroll provided by Ling Wen. "Is that simply a guess?"
"People have been said to have seen it, it's an ugly creature covered in bandages. It is silent and its eyes are vicious. It only knows how to snarl like a wolf." The tea sommelier answered.

"Just because its face is wrapped in bandages doesn't mean it's unsightly, it could be that it wants to hide its beauty instead." Fu Yao said. The tea sommelier was unsure of what to say next,
"Who knows? I haven't seen it either."

A voice of a young girl appeared from the street, "Guys, I'm telling you don't go! It's dangerous!" This was the same girl who had gone to the Temple of Nan Yang to pray.

Xie Lian saw her and immediately felt a twinge of pain on the side of his cheek, which had been slapped by that same girl.

San Lang frowned.

The man looked at her with an unpleasant face. He shoved her, "The adults are talking, little girls should stay out of it."
Xiao-Ying shrunk back a little after being shoved, but she used some of her
daringness to speak up,

"Don't listen to him. It doesn't matter if it's a fake bridegroom or not, it's dangerous! Aren't you all basically throwing your lives away?!"

"You're trying to make it sound noble. We're putting our lives on the line to help everyone. You were the one being selfish, you didn't dress up as a bride. And now you're trying to stop us? What do you want?" The man said.

'It's pretty clear he isn't doing it selflessly, he's doing it solely for the purpose of the reward money.' Shi Qingxuan thought, disgusted at the man's hypocrisy.

'In hindsight it was rather strange.' Xie Lian thought, but it had been for a reason. She wanted to protect that boy.

With every pause in his voice he would shove the girl back, making the four in the tea shop frown. Xie Lian removed the bandage from his wrist and the tea sommelier began to speak,

"Before he had flattered the girl to try and convince her to pretend to be a bride. The girl refused, and he returned to how he was before."

"Step aside, you're blocking the road!" The men shouted. Xiao-Ying's face flushed red, "Why do you all have to speak in this manner?!" Tears were welled in her eyes, threatening to spill over.

"Am I wrong? Would you be a bride if I asked you to?" The man said.
"I would never dare, but that didn't mean you had to cut my skirt!" Xiao-Ying said.

'That is really creepy....' Shi Qingxuan thought.

The man started to panic, "Cut your skirt?! Ugly freak, don't slander people. Who knows if you cut it yourself?! It's not my fault if no one wants to look at that ugly mug of yours even when you're exposed! Don't try to blame me!"

Nan Feng couldn't bear it any longer. The tea cup he had held in his hand had been broken into thousands of different pieces. And as he started to stand up, a white figure flew past his side.

That young man went three feet up in the air and yelped when he fell back onto the ground. He cradled his face in his hands as blood streamed from the gaps in his fingers.

Xie Lian frowned, 'I knew he didn't have any good intentions, but I wish I'd known he would be that determined. And even go as far as to try to capture a fake ghost bridegroom, then maybe I could've saved her.' He thought.

Before anyone saw what had happened the man was already on the floor. They had thought that Xiao-Ying had jumped at him, but when they looked at her, she was gone. There was man standing in front of her, a white-clad Daoist.

"Your Highness, that was so cool!"
Shi Qingxuan said in admiration.
Xie Lian smiled nervously and shook his head, "It just needed to be done."

"Miss, could I invite you for some tea?"
Xie Lian asked, smiling. Meanwhile, the man was on the ground in intense pain. He felt as if he'd been aggressively attacked. But, the Daoist had nothing to attack him with.

The man stood up and stumbled forward, "This man is using witchcraft!" He raised his knife at them. When the rest of the men in the group heard the word, 'witchcraft', they raised their weapons as well.

At that moment, Nan Feng who was behind them, struck a pillar and caused it to be destroyed. Seeing the display of strength the men panicked, then they started running away,

"Today is my loss, what are your names? Let me know for when we meet again in the future." The man shouted back. Nan Feng remained silent, but Fu Yao began to speak, "Yes, his name is Ju-"

Nan Feng struck again with his palm and the two of them started fighting. Xie Lian wanted to invite the girl to tea, but she left in tears. He sighed and told the two, "Don't forget to repay the damages."

'It's a good thing I didn't cause those damages, I don't want any more debt. And they fight too much too.'
Xie Lian thought.

"Now, let's take care of our official business. Can someone lend me some spiritual power? I need to enter the communication array." Xie Lian asked, looking at the two of them.

Nan Feng lifted his hand and the two of them clapped their hands together. A fairly simple transaction. Xie Lian could finally enter the array again.

'They did fight a lot, but they were quite helpful too. I'm very grateful to them.'
Xie Lian thought, smiling.

He entered the array and heard Ling Wen's voice, "Your Highness, you've managed to borrow spiritual power. How is your progress? Are those junior officials helping you correctly?"

Xie Lian looked at the pillar that had been snapped clean in two by Nan Feng and at Fu Yao closing his eyes with an icy expression.

"They both have military talent. They have a lot of potential." Xie Lian said.

Author's note: I'm sorry guys, I'm not exaggerating when I say I've been really busy. I couldn't make this chapter as long as last time. But, please have a nice day anyway.