Chapter 12: Fugitives

A/N: Sorry about the late update! As always, let me know what you think! I hope you're all enjoying this ☺️

Sprinting through the brush of the forest, Bellamy felt thick branches slash against her pants and face, but she continued on. Behind her, she could hear heavy breathing and branches creaking, a testament to the fact that they were being pursued.

Glancing up ahead, Four was pivoting to the left, gun still in hand. "Listen!" He called.

"Train!" Bellamy realized, eyes going wide.

If they could just make it to the train, then they would be home free. No vehicle would be able to keep up with them anyway. Ducking under a branch, Bellamy sprinted forward into an open field of large weeds.

Bullets rained overhead, but for the short girl, they just kept missing her head. The train was coming in the distance, rounding through a thick sea of trees. Caleb was falling behind, but Bellamy had no thoughts about helping him.

Four turned, blasting his gun back at the Dauntless soldiers pursuing them, giving the group a bit of cover. They made a dash across the tracks, the blare of the horn going outwards. Bellamy's ears rang as they turned.

Bellamy's eyes were wide in horror as Four turned and sprinted towards them. There was no way he was going to make it, but he had to—he just had to—

He propelled himself forward, barely managing to clear the tracks before the train rushed past him. He was breathless as he landed, Bellamy immediately steadying him. With the group reunited again, they sprinted alongside the train.

If they could just make it to the cargo portion, they'd be home free—

Bullets shattered through the side of the train and Bellamy gave a shriek, nearly tripping as she ran. Four's arm immediately pulled her forward, continuing the pace that they were going at.

Tris jumped onto the side of the train, tugging the car open for them to hide in. Bellamy was the first one up, catching onto Tris's arm and collapsing inside the train car. Her heart was beating rapidly and all she could hear was the rush of blood in her ears.

Turning her attention to the others, Caleb struggled to keep up. Catching onto Tris and Bellamy's arms, the two girls hauled him inside, where he promptly sat down. Four jumped in with ease, and that left the Dauntless hunters just shooting at the train.

For a moment, it was all they could do to just sit there and breathe. That was close, far too close for Bellamy's taste. And the horrific thing was that she felt intensely alive. And that was something that scared her. To be so close to getting shot in the head, to be in constant danger, and to feel that way—

There had to be something wrong with her, she was certain of it.

Bellamy's eyes pricked up on something. "We're not alone," she murmured, tugging onto Four's sleeve.

"What do you mean, Kitty—"

Just then, true to her instincts, people poured out of the cargo hold. The leader, with slightly buzzed sides of his head, just smirked at the group. "Well you people certainly know how to make an entrance."

Turning, Bellamy found that even the adjacent cargo hold was filled to the brim with people. And if she didn't know any better, she'd assume that these were the people without a Faction.

"Factionless," Four muttered in a sigh.

"Amity...but you stand like Dauntless." The leader said, taking a step closer to them. His gaze flickered to Caleb in slight disgust. "I have no idea what that one is."