A Whisker Away (Nico)

Request for seaweed_brain27

Nico's PoV

"Hello young man!"

I whipped my head around, searching for the voice that spoke. Bianca was still downstairs playing games, and this was our personal room. No one could get in here without the key."Up here!" A figure that was vaguely humanoid jumped down into the floor from the roof.

It was a cat. A giant cat.

I screamed.

Don't blame me! I'm a ten year old who saw a giant talking cat. I'm sure that you would do the same.

"Hush young one, I'm not going to hurt you!" He said with a smile on his face. "I just want to make a deal with you!"

I hesitantly come closer to him. "A-A deal?"

"Yes Nico," I didn't know how he knew my name, but at the time it flew by me. "A deal. I'm the Mask Seller, and you lucky human can have a chance to be...a cat!"

I blinked. "A cat. Why would I want to be a cat?"

"Well, if you haven't noticed, you've been here for years!" The cat stretched the last word out.

"No I haven't!" I argued, "Only like a week or two!"

"Oh poor, innocent Nico," he shakes his head, "When you become a cat, all will be clear. You can escape your life, run away!"

"But...Bianca!" I said, "I can't leave her!"

"It's your decision to make," he told me, "If you do want to, just put on the mask and roll."

"What mask?" I ask, looking around for one, but he was gone.

In his place on the bed, was a Kitsune mask.

_______________

"Nico! Where are you!" Percy called out, oh so stupid, lovable Percy. I hated him. I loved him. Arg! I hate these feelings! I just wanted to escape my stupid life!

Wait a minute...escape my life? Where have I heard that before...

I peeked into my bag, pulling out the mask that I had kept. I studied it, it looked like a regular, normal mask.

"I think I see something!" Grover shouted from right behind me, beckoning Annabeth and Percy over.

With no time to lose, I put on the mask and do a roll. For one terrifying second, nothing happened. Suddenly, a pink cloud of mist shot up, covering me and then dispersed. I felt my body changing, becoming smaller and lighter. What the hel-I mean Hades was happening?!

"Never mind, it's just a black cat." Grover dismissed me. "What are you doing out here?"

'I'm...um, a stray. I'll go back to my alleyway soon. Don't worry about me.' I replied telepathically.

Satisfied, he left me to be.

I dashed away from camp, ready to start a new life.

_______________

Okay, my new life hadn't gone so well.

So far, I'd gotten into about five fights, monsters had still been chasing after me, and that creepy cat guy kept bugging me to give up my human mask.

"Come on!" He argued, "Both you and I know that you'll be better off without it!"

"No way! All that it's given me is a life on the streets!" I growled back.