CH-5: THE BONEYARD

By the dawn of the next morning, the three boys inside of the Mark-4 Jaeger Romeo Destroyer have been well-rested and were ready to go onwards. Once they were ready to keep going, Braedey and Hayden suit up and they get the Jaeger up and running, heading off across the desert.

"According to the map, we have to head over towards... The Breach." Nick stated to the two ominously.

"Yeah. It's the only way we can get around Bogan and other places without being seen." Braedey stated back. "We are still at risk of Kaiju possibly in the area, but it's the better option."

"What I'd like to know is why the Breaches are opening up in Australia." Hayden questioned to himself.

"I think it's because of the mineral deposits here in Australia." Braedey now took a guess. "The gold, silver, nickel, and copper within the rocks are creating some kind of magnetic resonance field or something that's causing the multitude of Breaches to remain open for longer of time."

"That does sound like a good explanation." Hayden spoke back. "Still, the fact they appeared ten years after the first Kaiju War is something."

"Things have definitely changed since the Kaiju had crossed over." Nick commented. He then saw Braedey and Hayden come to a stop, the Jaeger juddering a little. "Hey, why did you guys stop?"

"Because of that." Braedey looks ahead, Hayden and Nick also looking, and they could see a towering pillar of red and orange energy over in the distance, down in a valley. "There is the Breach."

"How far away is it?" Hayden questioned

"Roughly 800 metres from our current position down in the valley ahead." EVA answered. "I strongly advise upmost caution."

"Noted, EVA. We will go and skirt around the Breach, then we'll continue on forth to the East." Braedey spoke up, he and Hayden starting to walk onwards. "Nick, best you strap in, just to be on the safe side."

"Got it." Nick heads back to his seat and he now straps himself in. "This is gonna be a bit of a ride."

After a little while, Romeo Destroyer reaches a cliff down into the valley. It would be 400 feet or more down for a regular human, but for a Jaeger, it can handle it. The Jaeger now starts to slide down the rocky surface down into the valley. But as they enter, it seems that a wall of dark smoke and dust was floating around them, obscuring visibility for several hundred metres.

"Floodlights on." Hayden spoke out, the external lights flashing on as they illuminate the area around them. "Not much to be seen around here." He muttered.

"Let's keep moving, but we move slowly. Don't want to draw any attention." Braedey suggested, Hayden nodding back in agreement as they both move slowly forwards Romeo Destroyer doing the same.

"Kaiju remains detected." EVA spoke up, the Jaeger now coming to a stop.

"Over there." Nick pointed out to the right. There, lying a hundred metres away, were the skeletal remains of a Kaiju, and it wasn't the only ones as well.