Ruins ; I

(F)

It was once a great building. It stood tall, beautiful, and glorious. Now the vegetation is overgrown, no groundskeeper to care for the beautiful mansion anymore. The marble is cracked, and the floors have caved in. Dust lays on just about every surface inside, and moss rests along the outside.

These fragments of history have seemingly... enraptured me. It's as if they're alive, and I'm caught under their wondrous gaze.

This place hasn't been cared for in ages. The dirt and grime is overwhelming. But since when has a bit of dirt ever stopped an adventurous teenager?

Nature has taken back what once belonged to it. The sound of a nearby stream flows into my ears, as if it's delighted that a person has finally come to see it.

I look out of a large hole in the decayed stone wall. The stream is directly in what was once the Godfrey Home's backyard. It cuts through the yard, heading into the tree line, back to its home; the forest. I walk away from the makeshift window, heading to the grand staircase.

My legs are weary. No longer feeling like exploring, I simply lay on the dusty wooden floor.

Is it wrong to lay in a home that doesn't belong to you? I don't believe it is. Though to be fair, I don't think of many things as wrong.

I rest my eyes and bask in the sunlight entering through the large, full springline window.

I plug my earbuds into my phone, stick one earbud in, and shuffle my playlist before setting the phone back down and closing my eyes once more.

I fall asleep to the sweet sounds of Beethoven and rustling tree leaves.