Music ; V

(J)

My phone buzzes on the counter.

? - ME

7:37PM

?: Thank you for the album. I liked it.

Holy shit, it's Finn. Finn is texting me. Stay calm, don't sound too excited. You'll freak him out. I rename his contact and text him back.

ME - FINN

7:39PM

ME: good! i'm glad u liked it, i have other album recommendations if u wanna listen to them

ME: though it would have 2 be at my place bc i cant afford to buy u all the records i need u to listen to. i own them though, if u wanna come over to mine at some point???!?

ME: sorry u dont have to if u dont want to

Fuck. I sound too excited. I'm probably freaking him out.

FINN - ME

7:42PM

FINN: That sounds good. I'd like to hear more. When would you care to meet?

He still sounds so proper, even over text. Weird... but charming.

ME: meet me at the ruins tmrw???? around like 2 bc i dont have to work tmrw???

FINN: Okay. See you tomorrow, Jude.

Is this like a date? Am I overthinking this? All we're doing is listening to music together... at my house... alone... together...

Shut up, shut the fuck up, Jude. Stop it. You don't even know this guy, what is wrong with you? Oh, God, and you just invited him to come to your house. What is wrong with you!? He could kill you. (Or crush your head between his thighs... Goddamn.) I head to the back, grabbing a new box of records to put away as I look forward to tomorrow.

Unfortunately, when I finish up my shift at nine, it's raining. I rush out of the old building while holding my jacket over my head and I pedal through the hard, heavy rain. I direct my bike with one hand and continue holding my jacket over my head (not the smartest move, but what can ya do?) to ensure my hair doesn't get sopping wet. I feel the puddles my bike runs through splash up against my legs, soaking my blue plaid pants and turning my boots into a soggy, wet mess.

Multiple cars drive by and splash me completely on my way home, but thankfully I don't get hit by any. I carry my bike up two flights of stairs to my dads apartment, and just hope that he'll let me bring it in.

Apartment 205. I knock loudly, hearing a thump and a few cans knocking over inside.

My dad opens the door, wearing the most classic cartoon-drunken dad thing; a pair of boxers, and a stained white tank top. The divorce has been messy for him.

"Hey, Jude!" He yells a bit, excited to see me. I'm shocked that he didn't sing that fuckin' Beatles song.

"Heya, dad." I respond, awkwardly waving as if a toddler were staring at me.

He gestures inside of the apartment. "Come on in, bud!" He smiles brightly.

I walk in. It's not a bad apartment, actually, aside from the cans and an odd scent wafting through the air.

My dad plops down on the somewhat-dingy brown couch. "So... how've ya been, bud? How's mama?"

"We're good. How 'bout you?" I ask him as I sit next to him, scooting a few empty beer and soda cans down to the rug. I set my messenger bag down next to me, accidentally setting it in... an odd wet spot that I really don't want to think about.

"Not too shabby... I don't have to hear your moms naggin' now." He chuckles deeply, shoving my shoulder playfully. I pity laugh a bit. "Well, tell me 'bout your life! Any girls I should know about?"

"Not any girls." I laugh.

He laughs along. "So, there's a boy?"

"Yeah. His name's Finn." I look down and twiddle with my thumbs a bit.

"Tell me 'bout him!" He seems so happy.

"Well-" Ping!

I pull my phone out of my pocket.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

"I think I've got a... a date with him, tomorrow." I smile.

FINN - ME

9:01PM

FINN: Would you care to get food before we go to your home?