The Early Days (Sarah's Journal #2)

Father.... He was never the same after that day, though I don't think I was either.

I continued to not attend school for awhile, someone had to take care of the kids, father... he wouldn't even look at Charlotte, perhaps he blamed her, perhaps he still does.

I tried my best to take care of them, thinking back to everything I saw mother do for the twins and for me, I had learned a lot since mother needed a lot of help. There's a lot I couldn't do, I was only a child, though I wouldn't be for long.

I'm surprised the 4 of us survived those early days, father eventually pulled himself together enough to do some of the things I couldn't, even then, he was still not quite....

I tried to watch father as he did things so I could learn, those early days, they changed something in me, life had changed for me, these 3 kids were my responsibility now, they were all that mattered now, I believed that's what mother would've wanted, I wonder if I was right.

I did eventually go back to school, father hired a babysitter, though it was hard to focus because all I thought about was them, I got some books from the local library though, different things that would help me take care of them and the house, they were hard for me to read at times but I eventually figured it out. They helped me to cook and clean, what babies and toddlers need, things like that.

My grades were pretty bad for awhile, not that father even looked at my report card. That wasn't what mattered, at least not then, they were what mattered, not me.

-Sarah