Her First Day (Part 1)

September 2009

Summer had come to a close but the summer heat definitely hadn't left yet, I glanced up from my book to see Charlotte seemingly drawing something with crayons, to the untrained eye she seemed like her usual quiet self but I could tell she was a bit tense, probably nervous for tomorrow. I then glanced over to Quinn playing with his action figures, the fact that something was off with him was a little easier to notice. Things around the house are usually pretty quiet, or they would be if not for- "Lunch is ready!" The loud upbeat voice of the young girl causes all 3 of us to look up.

"Why are you always so loud Stella?" Quinn says, sounding very annoyed. "We're right here" he slowly stands up

"Why are *you* always so boring." Stella chimes back as she sticks her tongue out at him.

Charlotte quietly giggles as she neatly puts her paper and crayons down and walks to the table.

I put a bookmark in my book and tossed it onto the table before getting up "Let her have her fun Quinn, she made us lunch, she's earned it" I see Stella smirk at Quinn as I give my comment and Quinn just rolls his eyes in response.

We all sit down at the table to eat the ham and cheese sandwiches Stella prepared for us. After Charlotte finishes about half of hers she turns to Stella "Thank you for making Lunch Stella, it's very yummy" she says smiling at her.

The smile on Stella's face makes it very clear she's proud of herself. "Of course! We can't let Sarah do everything around here." Stella looks right at Quinn as she speaks.

"Don't fight kids, though Quinn I could use your help more around here." I say as I think about what chores I could get Quinn to do. Stella sticks her tongue out at Quinn again. "Stella, you said you wanted to help Charlotte get ready for tomorrow right?" Stella's face lights up as I speak but at the same time Charlotte tenses up ever so slightly. "While you two get ready I'll get Quinn to help me tidy up the dishes from Lunch" Quinn nods, and Stella is too excited to make a face at Quinn.

"I had almost forgot!" Stella says as she then quickly wolfs down the rest of her sandwich. She excitedly grabs Charlotte's hand with a bright smile on her face. "Once you're done come see me!" Charlotte smiles back and nods. Stella then let's go of her hand and rushes towards the bedrooms.

"Wash your hands!" I yell and Stella instantly stops and turns towards the bathroom. The table gets a lot quieter with Stella gone, I look at the other two and can see the talk of tomorrow has caused them both to be even quieter than usual.

We all finish up our food and wash our hands, Charlotte heads to the bedrooms while I walk over to the sink and turn on the hot water. "Quinn can you gather up the plates from the table" Charlotte had brought her plate to the counter but the rest were still sitting there. Quinn nods and grabs the 3 plates from the table and brings them over, I show him how to rinse the dishes and how they go into the dishwasher.

Once the water is off we can hear an occasional squeal of joy from Stella from the other room. I turn to Quinn as we finish up. "Are you ready for tomorrow?" I ask, I know he doesn't want to think about it but it's best if he's at least prepared.

"Yeah" the young boy says, clearly not wanting to discuss the topic.

We hear another excited squeal from Stella. "Why don't you go check, just to be sure." I say as I give him a smile. "After I might get you to help me with a few things" I put my hand on his hand and ruffle his hair a bit.

"Fine." He says with an exhale as he turns towards the bedrooms.

I continue to tidy up the kitchen a bit, put some things away that Stella left out, and wipe down the counters before I head over to the bedrooms. I knock on the door Stella and Charlotte are in and I instantly hear Stella yell in a panicked voice "Nononono don't come in!"

"Don't have too much fun in there girls" I say with a smile on my face. "Remember, you two girls need to get the rest of your stuff ready too"

"We will!" Stella exclaims in response. As I hear Stella go back to what she was doing.

I walk back to the couch and I grab my book from the table. I sit back down on the couch and open my book. "Those crazy kids" I say under my breath as I continue where I left off.