seventeen. aftermath

A gasp of breath broke out of his lungs as Jasper woke from his trance

A gasp of breath broke out of his lungs as Jasper woke from his trance. His body sprung up from the sheets as his eyes darted around, looking for anyone. With heavy breaths, his eyes scanned the room while his ears took in the beeping from the EKG. He felt a hand against his shoulder, which felt like it was meant to calm him down. But it did quite the opposite because it had startled him.

"It's just me... It's just me," Kurt let out as he rubbed his son's back. Jasper let out a breath of relief as he placed a hand on his face. His fingers then found their place on the temple of his forehead when the Dixon boy felt pain against his head. The feeling went away almost as soon as it had come. "Hey, I need a doctor in here! Now!"

Jasper sat in silence as his fingers danced against the cup in his hands. His eyes were fixated on the water in the cup as his mind wandered elsewhere. That was when his mind brought him back to what it was like. To what it was like for him to be trapped for so long. It felt like an eternity but it was just two days. Two days of nightmares. Two days of misery. Felt like forever.

The lights flickering on and off broke him out of his memories. He glanced in the direction of the doorway. His eyes met Scott and his father. Kurt gave Scott a stern look, like any other parent would, and then took his leave. The door shut behind him and echoed throughout the room.

The room was filled with silence after that. Jasper had already thought of what he was going to say to Scott, and yet nothing came out of his mouth. The McCall boy just made it difficult for him to speak. He didn't fully understand why.

Scott examined Jasper's character. His tanned skin was paler than normal and he took note of the bags under his eyes. The sclera of his eyes were pink from his crying.

"Are you okay?" Scott questioned from his spot at the door.

"As okay as being in a coma makes you," Jasper responded, trying to add some humor to the situation. But no amount of humor could help.

Scott strode over to Jasper's hospital bed and stood over him. "D-Do you... Do you know about-" "Allison?" Jasper cut into what Scott was saying. The boy merely nodded his head in response.

Jasper tucked bottom lip between his teeth before nodding his head. Tears swelled in his eyes at the thought of his friend being gone. Not being able to trust his words, he answered with a nod of his head. When he met Scott's solemn eyes, the shattering dam broke. The tears flooded down his cheeks.

Scott leaned closer to him before he carefully wrapped his arms around Jasper's body. Sobs were all that could be heard from the room. The two just cried in each other's arms.

When the wave of tears washed over, the two still hadn't separated from their embrace. Remaining like that brought a sort of comfort to them. Jasper even moved over so that Scott could lay beside him. Their fingers laced together.

"Do you think it ever gets better?" Jasper inquired. His voice filled with dismay.

"Everyone says it will," Scott responded as his thumb rubbed the back of Jasper's hand. "It just takes time. But I know we can get through this."

A sniffle escaped Jasper as he reiterated Scott's words in his head. "We?"

"We," Scott urged with a promising nod.

"Scott, I have to tell you something," Jasper informed, finally pulling away from the embrace. He looked into Scott's eyes before he spoke again, "When the Nogitsune did... whatever it is he did to me, I think it did something."