28. | past

For the first time ever, I found myself wishing that Norma would reconsider forgiving me. It would make things much easier for me. Easter break was coming to an end, something I absolutely dreaded-not because of classes, but because of Tom and his idiotic insists that I cut off all ties with my friends. Did he really expect all of his death eaters to remain devoted to him and him only? I could only imagine the pain Abraxas felt.

I spent the first day back in the Room of Requirement, as far away from everyone as I could be. I had requested for a mini library to keep me preoccupied, and sat there studying and reading-I started to read some books on psychology, to assist me with my 'changing Tom Riddle' task.

But it wasn't so easy; eventually, it was time for the feast, and my stomach was rumbling loudly, begging me to eat. I couldn't stay up here forever-and anyway, it wasn't like I could avoid Norma and Ethelle forever. Sooner or later, I'd have to talk to them.

With a heavy heart, I headed out of the comfort of the Room of Requirement and down several mobile staircases to the entrance hall. I tried to reassure myself by thinking that maybe Ethelle persuaded Norma against forgiving me-a thought that would normally make me upset, but now only offered me temporary relief.

Despite my downhearted state, when I got downstairs to the feast, I couldn't help but smile at the wonderful aroma of the food. The Hall was crowded with ebullient students and beaming teachers, all devouring their feasts joyously.

I located Tom surrounded by the death eaters at the Slytherin table, all of them enjoying the stupendous feast. A few seats down, I saw Norma and Ethelle talking to each other, clearly about something important-Norma was smiling soothingly at Ethelle, who was chewing on her bottom lip anxiously.

Not wishing to get their attention, I scuttled towards the death eaters and sandwiched myself between Maverick and Rasalas hurriedly, gaining confused glances from both of the boys.

"Well, well, look who's here!" Maverick greeted boisterously, the perplexed expression on his face washing away to reveal a look of utter delight. "Welcome, Viviette!"

"Shut up!" I hissed sternly at him, peeking over at Norma and Ethelle nervously to see if they noticed. Thankfully, they were too engrossed in their conversation to even glance in Maverick's direction.

"I thought she hated us," Rasalas mumbled to Callum Mulciber next to him. Callum only grunted in response.

"Oh, come on, Rascal!" Maverick exclaimed. "Vivid doesn't hate us, do you, Vivid?"

"Shut up, and Vivid-really?" I scoffed in disbelief, my gaze still trained on Norma and Ethelle as I shook my head. "Do not call me that."

"Why?" Maverick questioned. "Vivid is a really cool nickname, and it matches you-you're really vivid, with your hair and eyes-"

"Your nicknames suck, Maverick," Rasalas spoke up in his deep, melancholic voice. "I don't blame her."

"My nicknames do not suck," Maverick protested, crossing his arms across his chest. At this point, I had relaxed considerably, looking away from my two former best friends and instead surveying Maverick and Rasalas with slight interest.

"Do you have nicknames for everyone?" I asked Maverick, deciding to be nice for once. The sandy-haired boy perked up.

"Yes, I do!" he announced triumphantly. "Rascal, for Rasalas-Abby, for Abraxas-"

"Abby?" I interjected, bursting into uncontrollable giggles. "That's brilliant!"

Maverick's lips curved into a smug smirk as he shot a victorious glance in Rasalas's direction. The handsome Lestrange boy only sighed, clearly used to Maverick's behavior by now.