Chapter 6 (Past)

Across the distance I see Annie rushing in my direction excited. Pushing people out of the way. When she gets in front of me, Annie grabs my shoulder and shakes me little bit, by then something hits my stomach badly. She's staring at me wide eyed and adds "We're going to an after party, Nono! - she's already looking up the location on her phone.

I should have known better than to chug the fireball shots and all these drinks. My vision starts getting blurry and my knees weaker. I try to balance myself on the counter of the bar Mikey is working behind, trying to look not sober but at least not giving away the way I'm feeling.  

"Sounds great, Annie! But it's a hard pass for me tonight. I feel like just heading home and resting a bit, tomorrow I've got a lot of work to do!" - she looks disappointed at me. I hate the feeling of letting people down, especially Annie and above all knowing that this after party is probably the only change she's gonna have with Ethan - "But you should go! 100%! No discussion" I add to reassure her, but I can tell she's insecure about going alone.

Her posture shifts and she puts back her phone on her tiny purse. She looks tall and firm - "Then we're both going home! Any time you want, I came here with you and I will leave here with you. No backsies!" - she says with her usual optimistic tone. I appreciate her owning up to our friendship, but there's no way I'm gonna let her miss out on this opportunity.

"Annie, you are going. No discussion" - I throw my hands inside of her purse, grab her phone to force call her an Uber, but I miss the password. At least 3 times in a row. Something's really off, but it's probably lack of hydration, haven't had a sip of water between all these drinks. Thank god Annie didn't notice, she would never leave me alone like this. I don't want to ruin this night for her.

"Hey pretty! Ready to go?" - Ethan came out of nowhere. He's standing tall right next to Annie, putting his arms around her shoulders. He stares at her with a superiority look, clearly looking like a man who starves for attention. She looks radiant and I'm happy for her, but I'm just not sure about his guy - "You two are more than welcome to join us! It's a flat like five blocks from here" - Ethan adds glancing over to Mikey and I.

"Nah, I'm almost done here, heading home after this, man" - I hear Mikey say behind me still standing at the bar. He shoots me a very strong look, staring at me for a few moments, deep inside my eyes. Staring at my month viciously. If I was sober, of course this would lead up to something. We both know what we want. But right now, it just feels wrong. I want my bed. Alone. And probably an Advil.

"Ohhh ok. I see what's going on here. We don't wanna intrude, we'll be on our way - Ethan says after gesturing to Mikey and I, like of course he understands that we are going to make out. We aren't -"You were calling an Uber right, pretty?"- Annie refocus, checking on the Uber ride and I give her an apologetic look for not joining them, but she'll be alright. When Ethan pulls her, making their way to the elevators I mouth "Text me when you get there!" and even though she can't hear me, I'm sure she understands, she gives me a thumbs up and they are off. I look for my purse to call my own Uber and head to bed.

"So Mikey, it was lovely meeting you, hope to keep in touch, but I'm head homing right now" - I say without looking at him directly, while grabbing my stuff to go.

"Wait, what? You can't be serious, it's still early. I'm just off duty. Thought we were could maybe go somewhere more private, you know" - Mikey keeping his eyesight on me, then my mouth and my deep cleavage, his expression suddenly turns darker, can barely see the Hazel color of his eyes. He's focused on getting it, but I'm just not in the mood anymore.

"No feeling like it, Mikey. Sorry! Maybe next time, today is just not a good day and I have a lot of work tomorrow" - I tell him, trying not to look as bad as I feel. This is the thing about me and drinking, I just don't know my limits. I should've probably stopped a long time ago, but I kept pushing. I don't even acknowledge how he took that in, I just wanna leave. I feel dizzier by the second, something really isn't right, this feels different - "I can give you my number, how's does that sound?" - he nods disappointed, slightly off tune, he's clearing not happy with me turning him down. Honestly, right now I can't give two fucks about it - "Would you mind getting me some water?" - I ask.

Mikey nods again without saying a word. This guy clearly doesn't like to be told no, very childish. I turn to focus on my belongings, trying to see if I haven't left anything behind.

"There you go" - says Mikey handing me over the glass of water, watching me.

Out of nowhere, a pair of strong hands slaps the glass out of my hands, making it shatter to a million pieces on the ground. A big chunk of sharp glass cuts across the palm of my hand, and when I see the blood spill I pass out. The last thing I hear is altercation between Mikey and someone whose voice I cannot recognize, a strong loud noise and people in awe. Then I hit the ground.