Chapter 2: Solus

Gwen's POV:

A/N: I should have stated this in the first chapter but I didn't, anyways this story isn't connected to ITSV or ATSV, this is just a universe where Miles Morales became the prowler and Gwen is just Gwen, not Spider-Woman. This chapter is gonna be incredibly similar to ATSV's starting scene, so I'm sorry if this chapter is kind of lame. For these first two chapters, I just wanted to explore our two main characters and the emotional struggles they're currently experiencing.  We'll start exploring Miles' and Gwen's relationship in the next chapter.

Loud Drums Playing

All right people, let's do this again, but a bit different this time.

His name was Peter Parker, and for just over 2 years, he was the one and only Spider-Man. He was also my best friend

He saved the city, saved the city again, and worked freelance at the Daily Bugle. Peter in his last year alive had begun working to take down Kingpin and the so-called 'Sinister Six' cartel. He knew the job was dangerous, and he knew that only one person was qualified for this job. Peter died one night, none of us know what happened that night, except for the fact that he was killed in one of those earthquakes that rocked the city eight months ago. I know for a fact there's more to it than that, but what can I do at this point?

"Hey!"

"Def Leppard!"

"Gwen!"

Drumming Ends

"Oh... Is the song over?" Gwen looked around at all of her bandmates, who looked at her back with concerned and weird looks. "Seems over."

"Are you okay?"

"Okay dude, you don't hang out, and you don't wanna talk..."

"I didn't join a band to talk about my feelings..."

"Well, I did."

"I joined it so I could hit my feelings with sticks!" Gwen snapped back at her bandmates, angrily slamming her stick down on the cymbal.

"Yo, if you don't tell someone what's going on you're gonna snap."

"I'm fine!"

"That's not how someone who's 'fine' would say that."

"You say, "I'm great, thanks! How are you?"."

"I'm great, thanks!" Gwen sarcastically called back at her, getting up and in the process knocking over most of the drums. She grabbed her bag off the floor, hopped down off the stage walking towards the doors. "How are you?" She said back mockingly.

"Fine...?"

"Gwen, come on."

"I don't get you, man."

"You're right!" She angrily snapped at her bandmates as she continued towards the doors.

"I play drums." One of her bandmates nonchalantly said.

Gwen flung the doors to the place open and immediately met with the sun beating down on her. Walking through the streets of Brooklyn she was now given time to reflect on everything she had been through in the last year. 10 months ago, Peter Parker, her best friend and Spider-Man had been found dead. His death remained a mystery to the general public of New York, however, Gwen had her suspicions.

Deep down she knew she couldn't fully trust what the police said, as she knew there was some level of corruption taking place behind the scenes. Her father, George Stacy, had become police captain after the death of Captain Davis 9 months ago. Her father represented the last bit of uncorrupted police force in New York City at this point. He had been obsessed with the idea of cracking down on and arresting the members of the Sinister Six, and the Prowler. George deep down also had his major suspicions over the death of Spider-Man, it seemed just too perfect for him to be crushed in rubble after an earthquake hit the city. He had briefly worked with Spider-Man while he was still a lieutenant, and he knew Spider-Man had been working to take down the Sinister Six for a while, so it all seemed way too suspicious to him.

Peter had a major role in Gwen's life before he died, he would often have dinner with Gwen and her Father, bringing along Aunt May. We would also often just hang out as friends, we rarely ever got moments like that because of his work as Spider-Man so it was always special. After he died I just, felt so lost, like I had lost a part of me that day. I don't really do friends anymore, I just can't imagine having to lose someone like that again. My dad was there but he was always too focused on his work.

Gwen and her father had a... complicated relationship to put it at best. He had been so focused on his work that he had often neglected to spend time with his daughter, especially in this rocky time right after she lost her best friend. Gwen also felt she really couldn't express her feelings to her dad, since he just wouldn't get it. That was her problem, nobody got what she was feeling and going through.

Arriving back at her house, she climbed up the rickety old fire escape, peering into the window that was in her living room she saw her dad straightening some things out in the kitchen. She slowly opened the window, hoping to avoid having to talk to her dad, she just really wasn't in the mood for it at this very moment.

"Oh! Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey. How's the band?" He asked her. She stopped dead in her tracks, grimacing as she now had to tell him she quit.

"Uh...uh, yeah, great. Uh, I quit, so...you know. Thumbs up."

She walked into the room, not saying another word to her father. He sighed and followed her into her room.

"I think we, uh...we might've caught break-in the Kingpin case."

"Oh. That's...good."

"Were close...I'm telling you I feel like we're getting closer and closer to bringing him to justi..."

"It's not gonna bring him back Dad." She was losing her patience now, she knew he was just trying to help and bring her comfort but, all it did was just bring back painful memories.

"Uh...I don't wanna argue about this. Okay?"

"Yeah, I can tell." George stood there, not knowing what else to say. It hurt him deep down that he couldn't comfort his daughter after her best friend died.

"Say uh...Too punk rock to give your old man a hug?" Gwen turned around and rushed toward her dad giving her a hug. He reciprocated the moment, hugging her back. What she wanted for a long time was someone she could just talk to, pour her emotions out on, and just be herself around. Constantly she had found herself surrounded by people she thought would understand her but, they just never did. She was tired of having to act like someone else when she was around other people, tired of constantly having a social battery. She just wanted a person she could be her true self around, her dad would just never really understand her struggles.

The moment was abruptly cut short by her dad's radio in the kitchen going off. "All available units, officer down, winged suspect currently moving eastbound on fifth avenue"

"Oh, hey. I've uh... This could be it. So I...uh...I'll see you later?" George said, beginning to make his way into the living room.

Gwen sighed, here he goes again, Mr. Reliable. "Cool," she shrugged.

George grabbed his jacket and his radio, rushing to the front door before calling back "Um I'll... I'll call."

Yet again Gwen found herself alone in her house, she sighed, shut her door, and lay on her bed, lost in her own thoughts. She thought about how complicated her life had become ever since Peter died. She felt lost, completely alone in this world, there was really no one she could talk to in her social circle that would understand what she was feeling at this point. She couldn't even talk to her own dad, he was always too busy putting his job before her. It had been such a long time since she shared an actual intimate moment with anyone, she felt so lost and isolated in this cold and dark world.

Slowly Gwen drifted to sleep, exhausted after a long day of school and out practicing with her band, or former band.