Episode Two

Adra

The human medical assistant, Catherine, had always told me the truth in all matters regarding my surrogate. Ever since she found me here one night, checking in on Kait, as the majority of the ship slumbered. I'd been sitting in front of Kait's pod, scrolling through the recent tests and lifecycle signs, when she came in. And I'd been unable to explain myself. Other than to say, rather plainly, that I couldn't sleep without knowing my youngling was doing well. Kait was one of the first to be impregnated in this group and my youngling was only a few weeks from viability.

Catherine had given me one of those knowing smiles, her kindness shining out of her eyes as she happily relayed her professional perspective of Kait's status. And the youngling.

And when I'd been leaving, she had calmly stated what time the hypersleep pods were locked and when they were not. If he wished to check in again on his...youngling.

And so today, on the most important day of my life, I trusted her. I wanted her to be there the instant Kait opened her eyes. If I couldn't have Salex's not-quite-mate here to help calm her, I wanted Catherine.

Lylta was explained, rather animatedly, what medications were doing what for the women inside and how he had already begun to slowly bring Kait back to the waking world.

"There's a good chance that she can already hear us, even if she cannot react."

"I stared into the clear glass that covered Kait's face, noting the way that her eyes were moving below her eyelids. She'd never done that before. Her file said she had brown eyes, I couldn't wait to see exactly what shade.

Would they be the soft, golden shade, closer to my color. Would they be deep, dark and fathomless like the atmosphere we hovered in.

I needed to know like I needed my next breath.

"Good, Lylta, thank you. Now, please. Let's proceed." The words fell from my lips quickly, and I found I didn't care if they betrayed exactly how I felt about this situation.

I didn't care.

I wanted to meet her.

I wanted to press my hands against the curve of my youngling.

I want to know.

Lylta gave me a quick look before ducking his chin and pressing a final release at the side of the pod. Through the glass, I could see Kait's head moving, a slow toss of the golden hair that had slipped free of the braid she must've tied in place before she climbed in.

Lylta continued to work on his tablet and Catherine shifted the stretcher closer to my side. "Lieutenant Adra, once she steps free, it might be safest if you are the one to step up, and help her onto the stretcher. We will only before the basic tests and then you can remove Kait back to her new rooms."

I didn't need to answer, she knew I was in agreement.

Lylta looked around at each of us, glancing at the door where I knew Salex waited and then with a flick of his finger, let the door to the pod open.

With a soft hiss, the mother of my youngling and the female I hadn't been able to stop thinking about slowly opened her eyes.

My hearts lurched.

Her eyes were golden like mine.

AUTHORS NOTE: 

I'll be uploading a few bonus chapters this weekend so that you guys can get into Adra and Kait's story. ENJOY!

What do you think she'll be like? Funny? Quiet? Sweet?