Chapter 5: The Forest of Dean

Main Content
Archive of Our Own betaArchive of Our Own Log In Site NavigationFandoms Browse Search About Search Works
Work Search: tip: katekyou "alternate universe" sort:>words

Actions
Entire Work ← Previous Chapter Next Chapter → Chapter Index Comments Download
Work Header
Rating:
Mature
Archive Warning:
Graphic Depictions Of Violence
Category:
F/M
Fandom:
Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
Relationship:
Hermione Granger/Harry Potter
Characters:
Harry PotterHermione GrangerRon WeasleyGinny Weasley
Additional Tags:
Harry Potter Epilogue CompliantSlow BurnHeavy AngstEmotional InfidelityExtramarital AffairsInfidelityMental Health IssuesTraumaSuicidal ThoughtsDepressionThoughts of Self-harmAlcohol Abuse/AlcoholismImplied/Referenced Child AbusePoliticsMuggle/Wizard RelationsRacismMisogynyAuror Harry PotterMinistry of Magic Employee Hermione GrangerPOV Harry PotterOriginal Character(s)No Ron Weasley BashingNo Ginny Weasley BashingPost-War
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:2022-04-04Updated:2022-06-25Words:410,505Chapters:51/52Comments:233Kudos:1,783Bookmarks:411Hits:81,791
Unlike a Sister
madharmony

Chapter 5: The Forest of Dean

Chapter Text
"Where are we?" he asked, peering around at a fresh mass of trees as Hermione opened the beaded bag and began tugging out tent poles.

"The Forest of Dean," she said. "I came camping here once with my mum and dad."

Here too snow lay on the trees all around and it was bitterly cold, but they were at least protected from the wind.

- Chapter Nineteen: The Silver Doe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Hermione.

Harry lurched towards the cell door.

"Harry," Lakey said, voice hard. "Wait for me in the hall, please."

He glanced at the DMLE director, fully intending to ignore him and go after her. But, he relented and sulked into the corridor.

Lakey muttered something to Callahan. There was shuffling and Lakey's next words were for Anne. "Can I expect a report tomorrow? Noon at the latest?"

"Yes," the slight woman said. "It won't take long. I did a thorough review. He wasn't under the Imperious."

Harry closed his eyes and cursed softly, his last hope that a closeted blood supremacist hadn't infiltrated the AD dying like a weak flame.

Lakey and Annie stepped into the hall. She directed her wand at the cell door and it swung on its hinges. A low click confirmed it was sealed.

"Contact me if you have any problems," Lakey said to her. "I look forward to the full report."

"Happy to help, Director." She turned to Harry. "And goodbye." She hesitated upon seeing his darkened expression. "Please don't hesitate to call on me, Harry, should you need me. I can always make time for your cases..."

She reached down and fleetingly squeezed his hand before disapparating. Once she'd gone, Harry turned on Lakey.

"Well, what is it?"

"There's no need to be cool, Harry," the director said levelly, placing a large hand on his shoulder and guiding him towards the exit. "I've a favor to ask. I'd like you to speak to Hermione. This case will get to her, if she's not careful. To an outside observer she probably seems perfectly fine, but you and I know her better than that."

Lakey stopped before they reached the outer corridor.

"I'm giving her the rest of the day off," he said. "Why don't you two go to lunch? I've known you nearly as long as I've known her and you've had your own struggles controlling your emotions in situations like this. From what I've heard, Hermione was usually the one who calmed you down. Can you do the same for her?"