Chapter 34: Nicole

Three weeks before the start of the Callahan trial, Walter, Theresa, Nicole, and Duncan Cameron received their first gene therapy treatment, delivered intravenously into their spinal columns.

The procedure required anesthesia and close observation. Given the unreliability of Muggle equipment at St. Mungo's, Alex secured a room in a little-trafficked corridor of his workplace, the Royal London Hospital. Thanks to her supercharged celebrity, it had been simple enough for Hermione to convince Healer Waltham and the assistant Healers to release the Camerons, including the still comatose Nicole, for an unspecified "outing."

Sitting by the window with Ron and Hermione, Harry observed the globular IV bags with their long tubes glimmering like jellyfish above the Camerons' heads. Alex, Thomas, and Elena kept darting between the four beds, reading off the beeping machines and murmuring to one another. The three doctors-two medical, one PhD-had been there since early morning.

"How long will the treatment take?" Hermione broached, watching Duncan closely.

"The infusion will take about an hour," said Dr. Puckle, her brows drawn together as she studied something on a sleek, folding computer. "We'll need to monitor them the rest of the afternoon, though, as they come out of anesthesia."

Just then, there was a knock on the door and the doctors and wizards froze.

"Alex?" said a voice Harry recognized. "You in here? Thandie said-"

Alex rushed forward but not before Dr. Amar Srinivasan pushed through the door. He looked around the cramped room and the four beds.

"Jesus fucking Merlin," Ron muttered under his breath. "We may actually know too many doctors."

"Wh-what's all this?" said the doctor who'd saved Hermione's life on a previous occasion.

"Special case," Alex said quickly, turning him towards the door. "What d'you need?"

"Just a consult..."

But then his eyes landed on Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The doctor blinked before his face broke into a wide smile.

"That can't be Harry and Hermione! And Ron too?"

"You all know each other?" said Alex, startled.

Hermione slid off the window ledge and walked as quickly as her legs would allow.

"Amar," she beamed, embracing him tightly. "It's so good to see you!"

"Likewise!" he said, taking her hands warmly before he noticed the scars. "What're you doing here? I hope everything's all right?"

"Yes, perfectly all right," she laughed, though there was something forced in it. Harry could almost hear the gins turning behind her eyes, casting about for something believable to tell the trauma surgeon.

"Dr. Peck is helping with a case I've taken on," said the supposed Muggle public attorney. "Terrible thing...criminal negligence related to...chemical run-off...brain damage...but how're you? How's Seema?"

"Oh, she's grand, thanks. She keeps talking about you two, actually," he said for Harry had come up next to her. "Keeps asking when we'll have the Weasleys over."

Harry and Hermione laughed uncomfortably while Ron smirked behind them. Alex's eyes darted between the four of them, but the Puckles kept their heads down over the computer.

"We'd love that," Hermione said weakly. "It's been a long time."

"That's my fault," Amar said, looking at her fondly. "I've be on an MSF mission these past few months."

"MSF?" said Ron.

"Sorry. Médecins Sans Frontières."

Harry could tell that didn't clarify things for Ron (or him either).