Chapter 5: Finding Some Help

Fireflight's P.O.V

I was flying with the rest of my flock when a sudden storm latterly blew me out of the sky. My wings flailed in mid-air as I continued to plummet toward the ocean. Through the panic In my mind, I spotted a small island that I could hopefully land on.

My heart pounds in my chest. My breathing is heavy. My wings are flapping quicker than a lightning bolt. But they're still gaining on me. Those stupid close-minded elders. Getting me in trouble for no reason.

My mind wild with panic, I dove into the village. I threw the small satchel in my mouth to the other side of the small shoreline, and curled into a ball, and let my wings curl at my sides, letting my speed increase as I began to fall.

My small body began to plummet downwards and the ground below was coming up fast. But my wings couldn't keep me air-born and my eyes felt heavy. I had been flying for days on end with nothing to eat and little to no sleep. So I just let myself fall, and my body hit the ground with a loud 'thud' then everything went dark as my head collided with a rock. At least I had made it to the beach and not the ocean.

I awoke sometime later to the sound of birds singing and the waves crashing against my scales. I slowly sat up and took a look at my surroundings. I stood to my feet and walked over and grabbed my small satchel, I put it over my neck and I walked around the island.

I had been walking for a while when a flash of bright red caught my eye. Walking over to investigate - my jaw dropped open in shock when I saw a young girl, who looked to be about 10 or 11-years-old, and was bleeding from an obvious head wound. Beginning to panic, I quickly unfurled my wings and took to the sky. I then scanned the forested area ahead of me. My eyes brightened when I caught sight of some cobwebs and marigold leaves. They would work until I could get more help.

Leyla's P.O.V

I awoke to a pair of bright yellow eyes and bright red and sky-blue scales. I yelped and tried to stand on my own two feet, but the stranger gently pushed me back down with a paw. I pouted and mumbled under my breath and stared up into the dragon's concerned gaze.

"Woah! Easy there, little one. You took a pretty hard hit to the head." A calm and motherly voice spoke to me. "You need to take it easy and rest." The fire dragon continued speaking to me after a short pause.

"Do you remember your name?" She asked me and I slowly nodded my head. "Yes, I remember my name." I told her. "The name's Leyla," I said after a short while. The fire dragon smiled warmly at me in response. "That's a pretty name, it's nice to meet you, Leyla." She said. "I'm Fireflight." Fireflight spoke to me. ""It's a pleasure to meet you too, Fireflight." I smiled up at the fire dragon, who was now staring at me with wide eyes. "You understand dragons?" Fireflight asked, shocked. I nodded. I launched into a story about how my brother and I were shipwrecked as small children and raised by a mother dragon. By the time I had finished the story, Fireflight's jaw dropped open in shock as she stared at me with wide eyes.