Interlude

FLY HIGH, FLY LOW
By GinoongONEGANI

INTERLUDE

THE COOS outside are getting louder and louder, as though it really means to wake Jay up. He treads over the window, pushing it open so forcefully it almost falls off of its hinges. The coos stop dead; the pair of pigeons makes quick springy leaps beyond his arm's reach, like they always do every morning. Intelligent beaded eyes meet his before Jay sends them away. At first they ruffle their feathers to put up a fight, but give up when he shows them a stick so long it will, no doubt, reach them. One serious hit can send them plummeting down, wings crippled to no return. But Jay's no animal abuser, he only uses it to prod.

Over the span of a week, the pieces of hays have turned into a well-built bed in the corner of the ledge. And the female pigeon has laid its eggs, two small balls looking very thin that Jay can make out what's inside. He remembers the big bird house and wonders why the pigeons risk it outside when they have their own place built just for them. His face contorts at how bitter he has sounded. Seems like his grandparents are keener to take care of those birds than actually worry about their own child in the city fighting to save the company that has greatly benefited them, too.