Chapter Eight

VIII. An Invitation

"Yes dad, I'm okay. I know your work will sometimes require you to stay overnight... This isn't the first time, you worry too much, and I'm 20. I'm very much an adult, you know... I know how to cook, thank you very much... Ugh. Whatever, I know you're just teasing me... Bye. Love you too, take care." After the infuriating conversation with my dad about him having to stay onsite for a week, I went on about my day completely ignoring the feeling that someone has been following me since Maths.

It is time for lunch anyway, so I decided to be at the cafeteria, the most crowded place in all of Uni during these times. A tip when you feel like you're being followed: sit at a crowded table, if there is any, so they can't come talk to you. Normally, I would totally eat at a crowded table. You'll need at least one spare seat to do that, which unfortunately, does not present themselves at the moment. Even the geeks' table is full.

Since I am left with no choice, I went and sat at the lone empty table at the corner. I bet the only reason no one sat here is because it's placed farthest from the food and both entrances. It's good enough, at least you'll have a place to sit.

As I'm eating my meal peacefully, I have opted to wear my earphones for protection. From what, you ask? From unexpected company, I say! Aren't I a genius?

Anyway, I made sure to mind my own business despite the constant stares similar to this morning. There's nothing worse than being a subject of more attention than what I'm already getting. It's always safer to ignore your surroundings while still being vigilant. And by vigilant, it means to be aware of the figure that is currently on her way to my table. Yes, I have decided to ignore these and lay low. Even if they are currently sitting in front me, even if the noisy cafeteria suddenly quieted, and even if she is currently talking to me.

Holy Molly!

Well, I still have my earphones and I am quietly eating, I did not dare raise my head so I do not know if this person is someone from any of my classes. I can sort of smell her and she does not smell like the librarian I know.

"Hi, excuse me, may I talk to you for a bit?... Hello?" She started again, this time tapping my arm. As I cannot ignore her anymore, I feigned ignorance and acted as if I never knew she was there, while taking off my earphones, for effect.

"Oh, Yes, sorry, I didn't hear you there. How may I help you?" I said as politely as I can. "No, It's fine. I see you have an earphone on, I didn't notice before. Anyway, are you free to talk now?"

I really wanted to say, 'no, I'm not', but that would probably earn me more attention than what we have now, so, I decided to just nod my head in response. The ruckus is also back in the cafeteria, which made me think they were waiting for my reply. I'll be overthinking about that later.

"Oh, great! It won't be long though. By the way, I'm Lyka, The Al... I mean, the Mayor's daughter. I was told that you're dad is currently working on the new Pack Ho... No, the new town hall? Right, you're dad is working on the new hall and he'll be on site the whole week?" She started her long barrage of words that seem a little suspicious due to pauses and stutters, but I chose to ignore that and took her question at face value.

"Yeah, you're right. I just got a call. And to what do I owe this pleasure?" Wanting her to get to the point, I just asked her bluntly while still trying to be polite.

"So, dad's birthday is coming up and I was assigned to tell you about the invitation. I'm guessing they haven't told your dad yet 'cause they told me to tell you personally." Hmm. Weird.

"I see, I'll be there, of course, thank you for personally inviting me. Is there a dress code or something? I don't really have anything formal to wear." I said truthfully, ignoring the fact that it is a little too weird that the mayor's daughter personally handing out invitations. How about the prof, isn't he the mayor's son? He could've just told me, maybe he doesn't know? What the heck am I talking about now? Back to the conversation!

"Oh, no worries. We will send you the clothes before the event so you'll have something to wear. Any colour you prefer?" Now it is definitely weird. Who sends clothes to people they invite? That sounds like I will have zero way out of this now. Dang it.

"That's... Wow... Well, uhm... I probably have one pair of suit, I don't really want to impose, it's not like I'm an important guest. You don't have to send me clothes. Thank you though." The strategy is stall as much as possible, then try to convince these people that, I don't have to be in that party.

I don't wanna go.

"Oh no. We insist. It's kind of like a tradition to send at least one gift to welcome new people in the town. It's good that you get  to use it right away. Don't worry, I got you." Dang it!

Since it seems arguing is futile, I just awkwardly laughed and resigned. I don't want to spend so much energy about it. Let's cross the bridge when we get there, as some say.

Being satisfied with the result of the conversation, she grinned widely and strutted away, not caring about the eyes that follow her every move, albeit discreetly, still noticeable. Tsk.

Then I went and continued my supposed to be uneventful day.