Prologue

The halls of Hogwarts had never been quite as quiet as they were the night Sebastian Sallow was sentenced to life in Azkaban.

In the midst of an unseasonably savage storm, all that could be heard was the roll of thunder, the concussive boom shaking every portrait on the walls, the lead lining of the stained glass straining to not let the pane crack and shatter. Protected beneath all manner of spells and centuries-old mortar and stone, the students had been ordered to their respective houses, the end-of-year festivities canceled. Those that knew the boy huddled around their peers, common room fires lit as gossip spread, several speculating that the charismatic twin was to receive a fate worse than death: The Dementors Kiss.

Those that knew the boy well found themselves sitting in Headmaster Black's office being interrogated by various Ministry officials, Aurors in tow.

Nurse Blainey stood behind Anne Sallow, ensuring her summons to the school wouldn't cause her any more pain than she was already in. Unfortunately, the veteran matron had no cure for a broken heart, the girl in hysterics as she was made to recount one of the worst days of her life. As a cursed orphan, it spoke volumes that her losing her brother would finally be what broke her unyielding spirit.

Beside them, Professors Weasley and Sharp flanked Ominis Gaunt, the heir silent as he inwardly reminded himself that what he'd done was right. His best friend, his only friend if he were being honest, had walked down a path he could not, and in doing so, he'd lost himself to the Dark Arts.

Leaning against the Headmaster's desk, Detective Auror Bristol surveyed the children, wholeheartedly disbelieving that neither of them knew where Sebastian Sallow was.

"What do you mean gone?" the second Auror, an overly ambitious Junior Detective named Davies, snapped, pacing around the group to no doubt intimidate the students into giving information they simply didn't have.

"Generally, the word means absent," Aesop drawled, thoroughly unimpressed by the night's events. One of his pupils, convicted of murder and the use of Unforgivable Curses, ran free somewhere in the castle. And the other, his problematic fifth-year transfer, was no doubt not far behind. Still, he sympathized with them both. One had barely known magic for a year only to have an insurmountable responsibility thrust upon her and Sallow... well, needless to say, Aesop had never been the biggest fan of Solomon.

Professor Black stood up, glaring at the Potions Master. "Silence, Sharp," he barked, no doubt trying to impress the Ministry escort.

Bristol, for his part, rolled his eyes, thoroughly underwhelmed by the Headmaster's eleventh-hour care. "And the girl?"

"Unfortunately," Matilda began, disheartened and utterly exhausted. "We've also been unable to locate Miss Leid."

"Would she have gone to this Repository or whatever it is below the school?" he asked. The information surrounding the attack on Hogwarts and its subsequent rescuing had been a matter of the utmost confidentiality. With exception to the handful of people in the Headmaster's office, few else, with exception to the Minister himself, knew of the Repository and what it used to contain.

Professor Weasley shook her head. "No, I don't believe so. After Eleazar's death, I can't imagine Miss Leid would have any inclination to want to return there."

"It's her fault Fig's dead," Black scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't pretend as if you ever cared for the man, Nigellus," Aesop cut, all but daring the bastard to fire him. Outside, lightning cracked across the sky, illuminating heavy clouds.

Bristol stood to his full height, Professor Black mirroring his movement. "They can't have gone that far. We'll sweep the castle. I want the paintings on the lookout. Have your Prefects man the exits. They won't be leaving the grounds."