Chapter 2

The next day I woke up to there being luggage all over the living room. "Mom, I thought it was only six months. Why's there all this luggage?" I ask her while she brings out another suitcase. She sets the suitcase down.

"Hon, it's only four suitcases," she laughs. It feels like more.

"When's the plane leaving?" I ask holding my tears back again. She looks at the clock and her eyes widen.

"In twenty minutes. I have to go now, but I'll call you when I get there, okay?" she says while giving me a swift hug.

"Okay mom," I tell her while helping her put the suitcases in the trunk. "Have a safe trip mom," I tell her while hugging her again.

"I will hon," she tells me while getting in the car. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Then she drives off. "I miss you already." Then I start crying. It's a Saturday so I go back inside and start packing. Mom called Ms. Halls, Rhydian's mom, yesterday so I just go over when I'm ready.

I know I'm staying over there for six months, but I only pack a months worth of clothes so that I can come back at the end of each months to clean the house. Yes, I know. I could come back whenever to clean, but I want to have an excuse to come home instead of just to clean.

After I finished packing and locking up the house, I start walking to Rhydian's. I can just walk with my two suitcases to his house because it's not far from my house. It's just five houses down.

When I get to his house I can hear shouting. If you guessed it, then yes, his parents fight a lot.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to open the door. I know I have a key, but I never use it because I feel like I need to be invited into others' houses. I know. I'm weird. I could still hear shouting so I guess they didn't hear me knocking. I go through my bag for school and look for my key. I get it then open the door.

"I'm here," I say loudly and the shouting stops. Ms. Halls walks to the door with a smile.

"Hi sweetheart. Would you like me to help you with your things?" she asks nicely. I nod yes. She takes one of the bags and leads me to my room. "I had to give you a new room because we gave Clair that room since it was the closest to my room," she tells me. I just nod. Clair is Rhydian's little sister and was born last year. Next week will make her one.

"I understand mom," I tell her. I call her mom because I always come over and she said that I could instead of me always being formal.

"Okay sweetheart I'll let you get settled in. I'll call you when dinner's ready." Then she walks out and shuts the door. "Now, just to put my things away," I thought.

I start unpacking and hear a knock on the door. "Come in," I tell them.

"Hey. Do you need any help?" Rhydian asks while coming in the room.

"Yes. Could you hang my shirts up for me?" I ask while putting my pants into the drawers. "It's a good thing I put my undergarments away first," I thought. We put my clothes away. Then we hear Ms. Halls shout that dinner is ready. "I'll race you," I tell him while at the door with it open. He laughs and I run and get to the kitchen first.

"What's for dinner?" I ask while sniffing the air. It smells good whatever it is.

"We're having lasagna," she says. Oh yummy. She comes out of the kitchen with the glass bowl of lasagna. The table is already set and she tells us to dig in. We each get ourselves a slice.

After dinner I go to my room and lie down on the bed. "I'm so sleepy. The bed is so comfy," I mumble while drifting off to sleep.

In the morning I wake to hearing the news. I get up and get dressed and everything. I walk into the living room and see something about a plane crash on the news. I sit down on the couch and watch it. "Isn't that mom's plane," I thought while panicking...

"NO!" I yell while crying. I think everyone noticed the pain in my voice because they all came into the living room to see what was wrong. They see what's happening and Ms. Halls comes over and starts hugging me. I cuddle into her. "Th-this can't be happening," I say with tears. "I shouldn't have let her leave."

"Oh sweetheart. It's not your fault. There must have been something wrong with the plane," she tells me trying to make me feel better. But I feel that it was my fault. I let her leave.