43 - dust's silent testimony

The domain's entrance looked forlorn. Intricate machinery, from places unknown, littered the scene, now trapped in the grasp of twisting vines and dried leaves. A sense of corruption hung in the air, casting a shadow over the lively surroundings with hints of decay.

"The withering..." Y/n's voice dropped to a whisper, her face an impassive mask as she surveyed the scene. "Seems you've been caught in its grip too."

Xiao gave a curt nod in response, his golden eyes scanning the surroundings warily. "Let's get this over with."

A sigh left her lips. "These phenomena... they were never meant to plague Liyue." Her words hung heavy in the air, charged with an implicit guilt that Xiao didn't fully understand.

He decided to bypass the underlying meaning for now. "You have command over the Dendro element, right? That should ease things up."

Without responding, Y/n stepped forward, her hand extended towards the withered plants. As if answering to her call, a vibrant green glow began to radiate from her fingers. Vines twitched, flowers unfolded, and leaves spread out in response, as the Dendro energy swept across the domain, dispelling the withering in its wake. A gentle rustling filled the air as life returned to the ravaged flora.

"I'm glad most mortals can't enter this place," Y/n remarked, her tone dry as a desert. "They'd likely wither away quicker than these plants. At least the foliage doesn't complain when you revive it."

Xiao blinked at her, not quite sure how to respond to her cold humor.

But just as her words settled, the atmosphere grew tense again. From the dark corners, adversaries emerged. Hilichurls and the foreboding machines of Khaenri'ah prepared to strike. However, before they made their move, the ground rumbled and shook as a burst of Geo energy unfurled from the entrance, pushing back the looming threats.

From this disturbance emerged a silhouette. A gentle luminescence revealed an exquisite robe, its fabric adorned with patterns reminiscent of earth's rhythms. The robe seemed to dance around her, glimmering akin to molten gold, and she moved with an elegance that spoke of the world's eternal grace.

But it was the piercing amber eyes that truly stood out, their unwavering gaze embodying the earth's steadfast spirit. Her presence was commanding, her aura exuding eons of wisdom, and each movement spoke of leadership honed over ages.

The arrival of Morax was unmistakable.

Upon recognizing the Geo Archon, Xiao immediately bowed in reverence. The subtle signs of surprise and relief that washed over his features were quickly replaced by a stoic mask of respect.

Y/n's reaction was notably distinct from what Zhongli might have anticipated. She simply quirked an eyebrow and gave a nod, her expression inscrutable. Even with their numerous disagreements over time, the former vivacity in Y/n's character seemed replaced by a dry, icy wit.

"Y/n," Zhongli remarked, her face pinched in puzzled contemplation. "It feels like it's been... ages."

Casting a fleeting glance over the many intricate mechanisms scattered around, Y/n drawled, "Roughly four centuries, but who's counting?"

With a thoughtful look, Zhongli observed Y/n's almost bored stance. "Quite right," she concurred, a note of unease creeping into her voice. "It's unexpected to see you skulking around here."

Meeting the gaze of the Geo Archon, Y/n offered a deadpan retort, "Could say the same for you." A shadow of a smirk played on her lips, her eyes dancing with feigned surprise. "New look, I see. Going for something different?"

Unperturbed, Zhongli replied, "I was in the neighborhood and noticed this domain was ajar." She glanced around, her eyes reflecting genuine interest. "And, well, curiosity got the better of me."