Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Ch. 1: Stolen Hearts

BROOKE

How much would it hurt if I jumped out of the car?

That's what I asked myself as we rode up the mountain, heading toward a fate that'd been sealed since before I was born. We weren't going all that fast, but the road was rocky and lined with trees. Odds were, I'd land on my head, snap my neck, and—if I survived all that—Mother would kill me. My hands fidgeted in my lap, and I chewed my lip.

"Brooke," Mother said, her tone a warning. "You look nervous, dear. And you're slouching."

I straightened and schooled my features, clasping my fingers to keep them still. If I wanted to be luna, I needed to act the part. Too much was riding on my arranged pairing to Alpha Titan. It was the only thing Father had left us; the one thing he hadn't been able to gamble. Without it, we'd be destitute, and everyone knew it.

"Remember to smile and let him do most of the talking. But don't stay too silent. You need to show him how intelligent you are."

"I know, Mother. We've been through this a million times."

"Yet, you were slouching."

I sighed and looked out the window. I knew better than to argue. Arguing would only encourage another lecture, and I'd had enough of those to last a lifetime.

"Did you pack the pink dress?" she asked.

"Yes."

"And the blue one?"

"Yes, Mother."

"I can't believe how gorgeous your gown for the ceremony is. Can you? It must have cost a fortune, and it fits you perfectly."

I nodded. It was beautiful: long, flowing, and sprinkled with real diamonds. But its obvious expense, and Mother's constant fussing, made wearing it feel like walking a tightrope.

"You made sure to pack it carefully?" Mother asked, even though she'd watched me do it.

"Yes."

"We can't let anything happen to it. If it did, we'd—" Her attention shifted as the driver pressed on the brake. "—Why are we stopping?"

"Road's blocked, Ma'am."

I leaned to see out the front windshield. A massive tree lay across the road like a wall between me and my future.

"Can't we just go around?" she asked.

I looked at her. If she honestly thought he would say yes, then she was denser than the forest.

The driver didn't respond, which was strange. Even a stupid question from a superior demanded an answer.

I could practically feel Mother's irritation, but my focus quickly centered on the way he was scanning the rearview mirrors. Why was he looking behind us when the tree was ahead?

I gripped Mother's arm before she could go on a tangent about his role as servant, and whatever she saw in my face made her lips clamp shut.

"What is it?" I whispered.

His gaze met mine in the mirror's reflection, his expression grim. "I'm sure it's fine, Your Grace." He opened the center console and retrieved a cell phone from within. "I'll just call for help, and—"

Mother screamed.

I jolted, throwing a hand over my pounding heart as I raced to discover the danger. My mouth dried.

Valley wolves.

They multiplied from the forest: five, ten, fifteen, twenty. They were everywhere. We were trapped.