Wattpad Original
Υπάρχουν 8 ακόμα δωρεάν μέρη

Ch. 10: Father, Son, Ghost

HUCK

Titan arrived early the next morning, insisting Brooke eat breakfast with him, and I wished he would focus on his fucking eggs already. I kept my gaze glued to the far wall of the dining room, white-knuckled hands clasped in front of me, clenched jaw close to cracking. He was too familiar with her. Why? My thoughts raced, envisioning what might have taken place before I was here to witness. Was he always this touchy? Had he kissed her?

"I'd like for us to spend some time away from the castle."

My ears perked, and I glanced over, trying to catch Brooke's eye. He may as well have announced her grave was ready, and it was time for her to climb inside.

But Brooke didn't look at me. She propped her chin on her hand and stared dreamily up at him. I usually loved the way she lied, but with her note so fresh in my mind, I believed her. We may have been chosen by the moon, but not even gravity could change the facts. She was used to a life I couldn't give her—a life he could.

"Where to?" she asked.

"I have some business in the human city this Saturday. How do you feel about spending the weekend?"

"Together?"

He grinned. "Doing so apart might defeat the purpose, wouldn't you agree?"

She laughed. "Of course. I just meant—"

"I know what you meant." His tone lowered. "I promise not to bite...unless you ask me to."

Sweat beaded the back of my neck and rolled down my spine, my blood pressure rising like boiling water in a furnace, about to explode. I looked away, grateful no one else was in the room. If they had been, they might have noticed the claws protruding from my half-shifted fingers, or the fangs peeking over my bottom lip. I needed to get out of there.

"Will we bring guards with us?"

I closed my eyes and took a slow breath in through my nose. Good girl.

"You're still afraid?" Titan asked.

There was silence for a beat, then the scrub of wood against tile echoed, and I looked over to find him dragging her chair, bringing her face an inch from his, and me closer to killing him.

"You're safe with me."

"I know," she whispered.

I flinched. Goddess, that stung. How could she sound so at ease? Perhaps she'd decided she could change his mind. She was good at that. The fact that I was even standing there was a testament to her power. One look and I'd dove into the flames. If anyone could seduce an alpha, it was her, and Titan's tastes historically leaned toward things that belonged to me.

My wolf demanded we show her who was stronger, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold him back.

"But you have business, don't you?"

Titan sighed. "A valid point. If it makes you feel more comfortable, choose one of your guards to accompany us. It makes no difference to me."

Finally, he focused on his food, and the second he did, Brooke adjusted the napkin in her lap and peeked up at me through her lashes.

If she could read my mind, it would scare her.

* * *

When Bear came to take his shift, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Out of the castle. Off the grounds. Into the woods, where I stripped just in time to stop my wolf from shredding my new suit. Then I ran as fast and as far as my muscles would allow, burning off the rage until there was nothing left.