Chapter 27 - The Shower To End All Showers

"Where have you guys been? We've been looking for you?" Kai says, almost angry. It would have sounded concerning if you weren't scared of whoever was in the boathouse. Which, it couldn't have been Kai in the boathouse because of the speed it would have taken to get from there to this side of the beach. So, thankfully you haven't been caught yet.

"Seeing as there's two of us and one of you, we are taking you to jail for the red team. We were trying to hide near the beach so we could tackle anyone who had our flag, but there weren't any great spots so we figured we would just wander until we found someone. Which we did, you!" You chime in. This was so stupid and not believable whatsoever. But Rodrick wasn't saying anything and you needed to come up with something.

Kai looks between both of you and quickly pulls out a flashlight. Where the hell did that come from? He quickly flashes it three times to his left and you see out of the corner of your eye a light also flashes three times. From the direction of the boathouse. Oh fuck. Fuck. Fuck!

"I'm serious, guys. Where have you been? There's a giant storm rolling in, you should have heard it on your walkies. Why didn't you respond? We've been looking for you!" So that thunder was bad news. Which meant you were going to get hit with a storm. Maybe it's a good thing you left that island. No way that thing could withstand a large storm.

"We never got any walkies, Kai. We've been looking for people for like an hour and you're the first person we ran into." Oh no. This was not good. Where did the walkie talkies come from? Why does Kai have one and why didn't you? Overhead, the thunder kept rolling in. The clouds now covered the galaxy you could see from earlier.

"Yes you did! Everyone got walkies at base camp for their team..." Kai looks between the two of you again. His brow furrows and then you see the realization. "You guys never intended to play the game did you? This whole spring break is just a chance for you to fuck around. You know, some of us actually were worried about you guys when Madi said she couldn't find you. She literally gave herself up to Heather and asked for our help to find you. She would rather lose the game to make sure you were safe." Oh no, Madi. God, that felt awful hearing. Madison was too sweet a person for this world. She was worried about you and Rodrick.

"So why didn't you call it in?" Rodrick finally speaks. You assumed he wasn't saying anything because if he did speak, it probably would have been to tell Kai to fuck off.

"What?" Kai asks, almost laughing. His eyes darted to the left as if he was waiting for something to happen. Or looking for an escape route.

"If you guys were actually worried about us in the storm, why didn't you go to Mr. Underwood or Mrs. Baxter and get on the intercom for us? And why did you flash your flashlight instead of using the walkie talkie to say you found us?" Rodrick steps in front of you, putting an arm out to keep himself between you and Kai. This wasn't going to be pretty. Rodrick had also brought up some interesting points.

"The storm is messing with the range. It's crackly." Kai is silent and stares at Rodrick, as if he was sizing him up. He quickly tried to flip this on Rodrick. "Why were you on a canoe, Rodrick? The island is off limits. If you are found there, you are automatically disqualified." Kai saunters up to Rodrick, coming face to face with him.

"Also the island? A little cliche isn't it? Where you and Kai had a date? What? Do you just reuse locations for all your whores?" From the wooded tree line comes Heather, who looks smug.

"Did you just call [Y/N] a whore?" Rodrick turns to Heather and steps forward. You quickly grab his arm to make sure he doesn't go any closer. Rodrick may have once joked you were a whore, but that didn't mean others could say it.

"Also, did you just call Kai a whore too?" You ask, totally confused. Seems pretty counterintuitive to insult you, but also her best friend. You held onto Rodrick's arm. This was not going to end well now.