Chapter 2 - The One and Only

Tanwen was walking down the stairs in an outfit featuring vibrant colors and patterns that resemble plants and animals. Which was something very much different from when I met him. But it didn't change the way I thought of him, as a despicable, cruel, and heartless excuse for a man.

I am sure Ryoko had noticed how much I was fuming, practically foaming at the mouth. He held onto my shoulder, he gave me an awkward smile. That soothed the anger that was boiling in me.

Tanwen had walked over to us, his hands in his pockets. His eyes were still locked with mine. Ryoko stood next to me and gave him his death stare.

"How lovely to see you again, Tanwen," I said coldly. "Didn't expect you to be back."

"That's nice of you to notice," Tanwen laughed humorlessly as he glanced down at my hand grasping onto the wall tightly enough to leave indents in the wood. "Still haven't forgiven me yet?" He grits his teeth. This man was nothing but trouble.

"If anyone here should be asking forgiveness, it's you," I said angrily while staring him straight in the eyes, daring him to answer me.

"And what makes you say that?" He raised a brow sarcastically.

"You were the reason the portal opened. What makes you think you have the right to walk freely and pretend like you didn't try to kill me?" I spat.

"Maybe it's because I was trying to save you? I could never do anything to let you suffer." There was a hint of emotion in his tone as he spoke. Maybe even regret.

I knew that he wouldn't admit to doing anything wrong or lying to us. Ryoko had closed the door behind us, moved in front of me, and looked towards him.

"Look, I know that you have a lot of regrets, but please stop bringing that up. Don't bring up things that you don't mean to do or say," he said.

Tanwen shook his head as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"This was all your fault after all." I glared as my fists became tighter on the wall. He didn't flinch, however.

"Ah yes, it was indeed my doing. But please know that you are the reason that I am still here. If anything would have happened to any of you, it would be all my fault."

"I am aware of that fact, 'cause that's what I get for having good morals" I retorted.

"I would like to step in and say he has changed," Tatsuya chimed in, putting a hand on my shoulder and looking towards Tanwen.

I scoffed. "You? Out of all people believe him?" I questioned Tatsuya. She was the last person I expected to defend this villain. "And you have never cared for humans until this point." I glared at Tanwen. As he made his way to the couch in the living room.

"Maybe we should all sit down and discuss this over dinner?" Kiros suggested as he walked to the kitchen. The rest of them sat down on the couch.

"I'd rather be cooking than looking at you," I snarled at Tanwen. I walked over to the kitchen.

"I'll go with her," Tatsuya said quietly as she got up and ran to the kitchen as well.

"I just don't get why you guys let him be here. Shouldn't he be in jail or something?" I muttered while filling a pot with water.

"Even though he doesn't see me as his son, I still care for him. I mean if he went to jail they would luge at him like lions to a gazelle," He sobbed. I wasn't sure if he was serious or if it was the onions he was cutting.

"Krios is right, ever since you took Tanwen's powers he's just been human," Tatsuya explained.

"But –" I tried to say.

"Trust us, he's been doing charity work since he woke up from a coma," Krios tells me, putting vegetables into the boiling water.

"Like?" I prompted impatiently.

"The school system, the hospitals... it seems to involve the hospital," Tatsuya explained.

"He helps those who have had their lives destroyed by him because he knows nothing about medicine," Kiros added.

"But that's only one part of it... he goes to the children's homes to make sure that no children are neglected or abused," Kaida added, stepping into the kitchen.

"Wow, he seems to be going about it all quite nicely considering what kind of a person he used to be," I commented sarcastically.

"Don't judge him too harshly," Ryoko says walking in behind her.

"He doesn't know what to do, so he now chooses to fix the problems instead. It's not his fault, it's simply his nature." Kaida's expression softened.

Tatsuya puts the chopped-up meat in the pot. "He helps sick little kids run away from home and gets them food when their parents aren't around."

"But, you all saw how he treated me as soon as he saw me. He probably has you all in a spell." I replied, as I tossed the salad preparing it to serve for dinner.

Tatsuya sighed heavily. "You both were in the wrong for greeting each other like that. He isn't like that anymore, but I guess you don't remember how he used to be either."

"Yeah, it's been ages since I've seen him," I admitted reluctantly, rolling my eyes.

"Well, give him a chance. Also, you better get ready for dinner then, because we'll be having guests joining us," she continued, placing rice into the bowels. She handed it to Krios before turning her attention to me. "They'll be here in fifteen minutes from now. Kaida will show you your room,"

I looked back at the living room seeing the dragons get along playfully with Tanwen petting them. A cold feeling ran down my spine, I shuttered in disgust.

Kaida led me to my room upstairs stocked with clothes and other things to wear for the upcoming event. My jaw fell open at the sight of the amount of things that covered every inch of the walls. Very colorful and decorative. I followed her into my room which seemed to hold more clothes, shoes, and accessories than the whole closet in my house.

Not to mention, there were a couple of plush toys scattered on top of a bed in a corner. Several books on different subjects, like literature and science. She left my room, closing the door behind her leaving me alone. Now I had plenty of time to take in this new environment I found myself in.

I quickly changed into a blue and green patterned dress that resembled plants in tessellation. It was a perfect fit.

A huge window allowed the sun to light up my space. I walked towards it, staring out through the sheer curtains covering the window. I heard the sound of soft footsteps approaching behind me. I slowly turn my head around to face whoever is behind me.

It was Ryoko.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Yea! Whose are the guests by the way?" I smiled up at him.

"You'll see," He smiled back.