4

At her desk, Skyden sipped from her coffee mug and grimaced at the sour, lukewarm brew. The morning meeting had gone considerably longer than planned, and Skyden felt the futility of playing catch-up.

A young coworker, popped in, startling her. "Hey, Sky."

"Hey, Josh." She looked him up and down. "I love that shirt."

"Oh, yeah? Really?"

"It's a nice color on you."

"I'll have to wear it more often.

She glanced at her watch. "11:40! Already? How?"

"Hey, so anyway," he said. "Gonna make it to The Rocket Room for Ziggy's party?" Before she could answer, he said, "Rocket Room? Sounds like a strip club, right?"

"Can't. I gotta–"

"Doin' the mom thing. I totally get it."

"Yeah, plus..." She gestured toward her laptop.

"So pop in later if you get a chance," he said. "We'll be gettin' our mid-week drink on."

"As one does," said Peyton, the agency's copywriter. "Pathetically hoping that alcohol preserves my youth."

"I still get pimples," said Skyden. "Proof that I haven't outgrown my adolescence."

"I'm fighting adulthood as long as I can," said Josh. "I'm scared I'll turn into my dad."

"So, Josh," Peyton said. "Are you driving or are we Ubering?"

"I didn't even think about that," Josh replied. "If I leave my car here, I'm doing the public transportation routine tomorrow morning. But if I drive, I'm the designated driver by default. Fuck me." He wheeled around toward Skyden. "Sorry."

She shrugged and Josh took that as his cue to exit. When he and Peyton departed, Lori swooped in to fill the void. She extended an envelope to Skyden. "I'm losing my mind. Forgot to give you this at breakfast. Happy birthday, Sky."

Opening the card, she replied, "Awwwww." She found a gift card inside. "You didn't have to do that."

"Let me take you to lunch tomorrow," said Lori. "Wait. I can't do tomorrow. I got a... thing." She checked her iPad. "Pick a day next week."

Skyden said, "We'll figure something out."

"Is Cameron gonna take a day off the road to celebrate his girl's birthday?"

"It's my lucky day. He's managed to squeeze me into his schedule."

........

A post-dinner birthday celebration was underway at the McKenzie dinner table. Cameron carried a birthday cake from the kitchen, pink candles ablaze. Kelsey and Brick joined him in a rousing chorus of 'Happy Birthday.'

Skyden blew out the candles to a round of applause.

Before the cake was sliced, Kelsey presented a gift box.

"Oh, how pretty," Skyden said, removing the bow. "I don't know where you get your gift-wrapping skills, Kels. Definitely not from me."

"It's from me, too," said Brick. "But I had nothing to do with the wrapping."

"We could've guessed that," said Cameron.

"Not my department."

Skyden opened the box. "Oooooh, look at this scarf! Guys, cashmere. This is gorgeous. I love it but it's too expensive."

Brick grinned. "We got some financing from the Bank of Dad."

Skyden laughed and hugged Brick. "I love you guys."

Kelsey hugged her mother. "Love you, too."

Cameron set a wrapped box on the table.

"Cameron!" said Skyden. "You're taking me to dinner on Saturday and you gave me those lovely flowers."

"Well," he said with a playful smile. "At your age, there probably aren't gonna be many birthdays left, so I thought I should get you a little something extra."

The kids laughed. Brick said, "Is it a walker?"

"Orthopedic shoes," said Kelsey.

"Ha, ha," Skyden replied. She opened the package. Inside was a brochure. Her eyes widened.

"Belize?! A trip to Belize?!"

"Are we all going?" asked Brick.

"We're all going," Cameron said.

Brick fist-bumped his dad. Kelsey cheered. Skyden kissed her husband.

"I remember you looking pretty good in a bikini," Cam said. "For an elderly woman."

"Who's the one hitting the gym, mister?"

"Not gonna argue." He lowered his head.

Skyden sighed. "Maybe I should skip the cake."

"Birthday indulgence," said Kelsey. "Have a skinny piece."

"It's bad luck if you don't eat cake on your birthday," Brick said.

"According to...?"

He shrugged. "If it's not a rule, it should be."